Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Another for the ladies

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/07/06, 07:38 PM
I found this interesting, hope you ladies will also with all the hype on soy products these days.

Functional foods for females...
One ingredient you will find cropping up in all sorts of functional foods is soy. Why? according to the FDA, "25 gr. of soy protein a day, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of hareat disease". This claim, along with soy's purported help in reducing menopausal symptoms has unleashed a shopping cart full of soy foods for women, incuding Quaker Oatmeal Nutrition for women as well as Luna bars(with soy protein for heart healthy)? The FDA permits food makers to use its heart health claim if a product supplies 7 gr. of soy per serving, figuring you can include soy products in 4 meals a day to get the recommended amount.

The evidence of soy's benefits is inconclusive, with marketing ahead of science in the area of women's health. For instance, the best evidence currently available on soy's health effects suggests that it lowers cholesterol. "Its as small lowering, 5%, but over a lifetime it can have a big impact on heart disease,"says Mindy Kurzer, PhD, a University of Minnesota professor and soy researcher. "It appears soy isoflavones also improve some other aspects of heart disease, such as elasticity of blood vessels, which would possibley deter the development of high blood pressure and plaque formation. Then next strongest area is menopausal-symptom reduction. Areas with less agreement involve bone metabolism and osteoporosis." And soy's role in helping prevent breast cancer is still controversial. If the FDA deems soy islflavones worthy of an official health claim for preventing menopausal symptoms, expect to see a whole new host of soyfoods geared toward the 45 plus set.

--------------
As far as genetics go, the skies the limit. You are limited only by your mental perception of it.

Ron
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/07/07, 03:37 PM
Interesting and informative. I have taken soy isoflavones and eaten several soy products for years. So many products both edible and non come from a soybean base that I have always said if I had to be left on this earth with just one crop I'd pick the soybean.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/07/08, 06:36 PM
SOY, does the body good!!!!!!!!:)

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!
Lifted 135lbs on July 1, 2003, I did it!! WOOOO WOOOOOO
THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!