Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

So what's the verdict on this one?

sweetiet
sweetiet
Canada
2003/06/01, 06:43 PM
Resistance or "using-your-own-weight" exercises like doing squats against a workout ball or one leg crossed over the other squats or using those bands.....is this a better way to build lean, longer muscles than the machines?

With machines like the leg extension my quads have gotten out of control.....bulky. I feel the same with calve raises, presses on the leg press.

I know everyone says weight training is crucial for maintaing muscle mass -- can I just stick to machines/dumbells for upper body and do other stuff for lower? Will I be missing out on anything? Is there any research on this stuff?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your feedback!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/06/02, 02:16 AM
Hi Sweetiet.
What I do is to work my upper body with heavy weights (one muscle once a week) and my lower body 2-3 times weekly but light weight and many repetitions.
I maintain my legs and get results on the upper body part.

What I do for my legs is lots of different sorts of lunges and squats (free, guided, jumping, to the side etc) and then some more speficic exercises for the adducteurs and glutes.

You need to tell me more about yourself for me to help you better. Good luck!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.