Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

need help with squat

plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/05/27, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone, I was hoping some of you experienced powerlifters could give me a hand improving my squat. I have been bodybuilding for quite some time but I have been neglecting the core power lifts & now I'm trying to catch up. The problem is that for the past year & a half I've been at a gym with no squat cage, just a smith machine, & now that I'm training at a real gym my back sqauts are extremely weak. My other lifts are going quite well, deadlift=410, squat press=700, but my squat is only around 280. I would also like to ad that I perform squats first in the routine and use the others as auxilliary lifts. Any advice? Should I possible substitute Hack squats for squat press as an auxilliary lift? Any input is greatly apritiated, thank you.

P.L.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/05/27, 01:46 PM
Unfortunately, squats lots and lots of time and dedication!

Keep your squats at the beginning of the workout, and don't do any other body part on leg day. Initially, I wouldn't try to go for a 1 RM for a while, just work on your form. For your first exercise, cycle weekly regular full suqats, box squats, rack suqats, percents, etc., for several weeks - basically variations of real, free weights squats. Pyramid up, something like 8 sets of 4-6 reps, depending on the lift. After you're done with these, tie in some auxiallry lifts such as leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises. We're not going for powerlifting on these, so keep them around 4 sets of 6-8 reps.

If you do your first exercise correctly, the other lifts should be very tough, and you won't need to do any other squat/press type lift. Try this out for a few, and let us know how it goes. Also, keep your deadlift day at the other end of the week from your squat day, like Monday and Friday.

Best of luck!!!!

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/05/28, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the advice! I would also like to include that I have noticed in my execution of the squat that I am lacking in the ability to generate spped in the movement. The eccentric & concentric portions of the lift are like one long slow movement, could it be that I am lacking the speed skill to get the explosive power out of the squat? If so what type of speed training would you reccomend to help with explosiveness during the anoritization phase, or is this just going to be a psychological problem that I need to overcome? I think a big problem with my squats is that they are not explosive, taking too long, & the stabilizer muscles are just getting fatigued, any thoughts?

--------------
Patrick L.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/05/28, 09:36 AM
If you're not being explosive enough, then you need to 'practice'. I love box squats for explosive power. I always go below parallel, which is thought by some to be bad but I like it. I do 2 or 3 reps for 10-12 sets of box squats with about 65% of my 1RM. I only wait 40-45 seconds between each set. You actually sit on the box for a fraction of a second then explode up. My first few sets are usually so explosive that my heels come off the ground. I'm used to that now, but early on I really had to pay attention to my balance. PROPER FORM IS CRUCIAL!! If you lean or use your back too much you can and probably will get hurt. I don't do box squats the same day I go heavy; I do box squats on Fridays and heavy squats on Mondays.

BTW, just a side note.... I bought 3 2"x10" boards from Home Depot and built my own box. Some people use a stool or a chair, but I prefer something sturdy. Most chairs won't last long if you're putting close to 500lbs on 'em.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/05/28, 11:27 AM
Well, JB beat me to it...LOL! But he's right. The only thing that I would add is that the key to dynamics (what J explained is called) is to push the bar with the same power as if it were your max. In other words, if your max 1 RM squat is 600 pounds, then when you do 50-60% of that for 10 sets of 3, you push that bar with the 300-360 lbs on it with everything you have as if it had 600 lbs on it. This is very important in developing speed in your sticking points.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/05/28, 01:00 PM
Thanks alot guys , the help is greatly appriciated.

--------------
Patrick L.