Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

I lift a lot of weight but....

JclarissaT
JclarissaT
United States
2003/05/13, 02:40 PM
I lift a lot of weights but I barely do any cardio. Will I get bigger, bulkier? Will I get lean like I want to? What will happen? I have been eating a lot of fruits and vegetables along with chicken breast and two protein shakes a day, after work outs. I have also been drinking tons of water. I am training to get stronger, yet leaner for basketball.
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/13, 02:50 PM
:o) hello jclarissat. I would highly recommend more cardio activity to help you increase your speed and develop better oxygen intake. Increasing your cardio will also help with weight lifting-more oxygen will get to your muscles..
Good to see that you're doing well on the diet and weight lifting <smile> Keep it up.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/05/13, 06:00 PM

I agree, but don't feel like you NEED to do cardio to keep from getting bulky. Almost all women lack the testosterone needed to develop large amounts of muscle mass - heck, so do some guys. Don't fall into the Glamour magazine trap of thinking that you're going to start looking like a man if you lift heavy weights. You'd be amazed to find out the kind of weight that some female figure skaters put up, even with their svelt figures (Hint: It's more than I put up!).

============
Quoting from jefado:

:o) hello jclarissat. I would highly recommend more cardio activity to help you increase your speed and develop better oxygen intake. Increasing your cardio will also help with weight lifting-more oxygen will get to your muscles..
Good to see that you're doing well on the diet and weight lifting <smile> Keep it up.
=============

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/14, 08:58 AM
You're right mack about bulking up <smile>
...Asimmer put a post on one of the message boards a while back to discuss it...Was a great post....ck it out jclarissat...I'll see if I can't get the particular board and date for you.
:o) but Figure Skating is a good cardio workout all by itself...
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/14, 09:02 AM
Asimmer posted on message board: Beginners to Weight Training....subject: Toning vs. Strengthening-myth buster..dated 4/18/03....
In fact, if you take a look at fitBuddy, there are many excellent posts on this subject :o)
nikki_m_austin
nikki_m_austin
United States
2003/05/14, 12:16 PM
Let me throw a wrench in.

I'm not a particularly "ripped, muscular" build naturally, but tried to drop down my cardio and really max out on weight lifting, and I really put on some good mass. But I wanted to test that theory that women can't really gain muscle like men.

I dunno, if you're in basketball, it seems to make more sense to run sprints and do light weights than to gain mass and be heavier and slower on the court.
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/14, 12:43 PM
Every person is built differently..but I believe anyone could benefit from a reasonable blend of cardio, diet and strength training :o)
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/05/16, 02:06 AM
Your goal is to get better, leaner and stronger to play basketball?!! Okey then you'll need to incorporate cardio in your training as well. Both endurance (long slow cardio) and HIIT.
This will give you the very best chances to win.
Keep up your protein intake high and take a rest day when you need it.
Good luck!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
JclarissaT
JclarissaT
United States
2003/05/16, 04:52 PM
Thank you very much for your replies. They are indeed appreciated.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/05/16, 05:26 PM

Depends on your position. Shaq wouldn't be what he is if he wasn't so massive.

============
Quoting from nikki_m_austin:

Let me throw a wrench in.

I'm not a particularly "ripped, muscular" build naturally, but tried to drop down my cardio and really max out on weight lifting, and I really put on some good mass. But I wanted to test that theory that women can't really gain muscle like men.

I dunno, if you're in basketball, it seems to make more sense to run sprints and do light weights than to gain mass and be heavier and slower on the court.
=============

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
JclarissaT
JclarissaT
United States
2003/05/17, 06:06 PM
Well I am a power forward. It really helps that I am strong. I might have to play some small forward, which would require that I have more quickness.