Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

impact carbs

spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2003/04/09, 08:35 PM
Question:
I have found a protein bar that I like (finally.) They are supposed to be "low carb" bars. The package says they have 2 grams of impact carbs...but 18 total carbs. I know that the impact carbs (sugars and starches) mean that those are the ones that have a significant impact on blood glucose
levels...but can anyone tell me in more understandable words what exactly that means? Does this mean that I can eat one later in the day and not have to worry about getting 18 grams of "not so good" carbs so late? Or should I just stick to eating one in mid-morning or right after workouts?

Thanks in advance!
sg
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/04/09, 09:20 PM
Impact carbs are so labeled due to the fact that they may increase blood sugar in some way, thus ellicit an insulin response. By that, insulin is your "storage" mechanism, and thus if glycogen stores are not needed(full), the resulting spillover could be stored as fatty acids. In a nutshell, without getting too scientific. Hope this makes sense and helps some.

--------------
The one goal you will NEVER achieve is the one you never attempt.