Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

spoon body shape

ndreagan
ndreagan
United States
2003/04/08, 02:54 PM
Hi, if this type question has been posted before, I apologize, this is my first time. I am 26 years old, 5'0", and fluctuate between 95-100lbs. I am generally very thin, to the point of being seriously underweight. (After the birth of my first child I weighed 87lbs.) I now have two children, and am still as skinny as can be, except for the huge flabby butt and thighs I have developed. I am extremely unactive-stay at home mom, and quite out of shape. I have been trying to exercise at home, I have the Gazelle--which my Army husband says is a joke. I am guessing that what is wrong with my thighs is termed a saddlebag. My husband tells me I should do squats and lunges. I have been researching online and have found conflicting advice. Since I tend to only gain weight in my butt and thighs, I have been told I should not use any resistance or weight, and should just do things like L-kicks, jumping jacks, non-weighted jumping rope, sit-ups, crunches, and arm weights. This is what I have been trying to do, although not long enough to see any results. My goal is to firm up and define, not bulk up. I don't wish to be sickly skinny, but I don't want my behind wobbling the way it does now, ewwww. :( Please help, at least let me know if I am doing the right thing. *I do have access to the gyms on post, but I am not sure if I should be using resistance or not. My waist measurement is 24.5", and my fullest part of hip/thigh is 35.25". Thank you for any advice you can give me. :)
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/04/08, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the site ndreagan. You will find it vey imformative and addictive.
First off I applaud your husnamds advice. He's right. Squats and lunges build muscle in the thigh and glutes area.
BUT...you can't spot reduce. you shed fat from your body in layers, kind of like an onion skin. If you want to have a nicely sculptured body, I suggest you go onto a program here , perhaps toning. do the resistance training, with cardio, along with a good clean diet, and you WILL get the results you are looking for. Remeber, have patience and you will see results.
You will not get bulky by doing the resistance training, unless you are geneticly freaky, or using steroids. Females do not have enough of testosterone to bulk up. The muscle development will burn your fatty tissue, and speed up your slow meabolism, which in turn will burn calories for you.
Hope this helps.

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada
ndreagan
ndreagan
United States
2003/04/08, 10:17 PM
Thank you for responding to my question. I am still uncertain about something... I know that you can't spot reduce, but, and this may sound ignorant, forgive me, I really don't have any fat anywhere else. Should that make me see results faster, or is it going to matter? I was kind of concerned with making my thighs look even bigger--making my butt look wider--by using resistance, that's why I was asking. I guess that as long as they are at least firmer, the overall size won't be such an issue for me.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/04/08, 10:32 PM
Men tend to gain fatty tissue around thier belly and chest.
Women get it in the places you mentioned.
That being said the first place to gain it is the last place to lose it. You will shed in other areas that you don't realise you have the fatty tissue and then it will eventually even out. Probably go faster in your case.
Don't get on a scale. Go by the mirror and your clothing.
Hope this helps.

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/04/09, 04:00 AM
My advice to you is completely to change everything..... I know this sounds kinda strange but if you really want to shape a beautiful body I really believe that this is the only solution:

1) Start eating a lot more proteins and several small meals during the day
2) limit cardio to 3 times a week 30 mins and
3) start a very serious strength training where you'll concentrate on building the upper body with heavy dumbbells 6-12 reps.
Work your lower body three times a week; lunges-squats, squats and lunges (o;
Not heavy but sets of 15-20 repetitions.

Stretching, massage and patience but if you do what I said you'll succeed in getting the wanted results.

You said that you have access to a gym? Well get started then! (it might be a good idea to talk with a personal trainer who can guide you directly where you are....)

Good luck, it's never too late!!!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
ndreagan
ndreagan
United States
2003/04/09, 11:49 AM
Philia, thank you so much! I will definitely take your advice. I haven't-to this point-been able to get to the gym because I have small children and didn't have anyone to watch them. My father will be coming to stay with us starting next week, so I will certainly be going to the gym as much as possible after that. I must say that your body is beautiful. I would kill for your leg/butt area, I guess I will die trying, lol. Thank you again for your help.