Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Workout Etiquette in Germany

rsquade
rsquade
United States
2012/05/14, 03:28 PM
I may be off to Frankfurt for a work assignment.   Of course I'll be working out.  Any suggestions about honoring my host countries practices?  Appropriate workout attire, workout methods, etc.

Thanks.
2012/05/14, 04:40 PM
Clothing is optional in German gyms.

When you lift heavy be noisy but in a staccato kind of way. 

Sorry man, I couldn't help it.  Gyms have different personalities. Just pick out one that fits you.
rsquade
rsquade
United States
2012/05/15, 10:32 AM
Very funny - ein zwei drei grunzen.

Clothing optional is both enticing and  frightening - and here I'm only trying to not be the ugly American.
2012/05/15, 10:44 AM
I think the etiquatte will vary depending on the gym. I know that there are basement gyms that to me resemble dungeons with lots of chains, concrete and bare bones equipment. Power lifters seem to like fewer frills. There are basic gyms like my little community gym that has minimal room and never quite enough equipment. I've been a member in spa like places that smell like lilacs and everybody but me is wearing spandex.

Most places post rules for behavior and dress on the wall or in a pamphlet. I think as long as you wipe down equipment, are polite and aware of other people you'll be fine. I work out at home now. I like not waiting. If you are alone in a small gym you can move freely and quickly. If there are people you just have to be courteous and share. I've hardly ever run into anybody in gyms that wasn't friendly and helpful.