Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Why do you do it?

2012/02/21, 08:46 PM
I'm not a beginner but I like to help beginners. My friends ask me why I lift, swim, paddle, walk and garden. It's simple. It makes me feel good.

No less no more.

Iread flogs. Somebody wrote last week that they wanted to quit at half a workout but a voice in their head told them not to. I wanted to skip it all together tonight. I heard the voice.

Feels good.
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/22, 02:16 PM
Great question, Charlie!

I have to come right out and admit that I don't care for exercise.  Lifting weights is not something I find pleasurable.  I do like hiking, but jogging/running or biking up mountains are not my ideas of fun.  Swimming with my son is one thing, swimming laps at the local pool is entirely different.  I like the outdoors, but I'm a computer geek through and through, and I'm happiest when I'm in front of a computer.  Computers and wilderness are not all that compatible.

What I do enjoy, though, are the rewards I get from doing the hard work.  I like being able to fit into smaller pants.  I like being able to go out without getting distasteful looks because I'm as big as a whale.  I like being able to run up a flight of stairs or walk up a hill to a building at work without getting out of breath.  I like hitting my weight loss goals and keeping the weight off because it means I get to give myself a "fitness present".  When I get to 185, I'm going to get myself a tablet computer, for example.

And I guess if I'm being totally honest with myself, I do enjoy the feeling of accomplishment I get after a workout.  I hate it while I'm doing it, but I love when quitting time comes and I've finished my workout.  I enjoy adding another 400 calories to the tally of what I've burned off for the day.  I like being able to set a goal, work hard for it, and accomplish it.

But, most of all, I do this for my wife and son.  I do this so that I'll be able to go out and play with my son without having to collapse halfway through and ruin his fun.  I do this for my wife so we won't have huge medical bills, or high rates on insurance because of my weight problem.  I do this so I can live long enough to meet my grandchildren.

My blood pressure has dropped, my cholesterol has dropped, my weight has dropped, and the quality of my life is slowly increasing.  That's why I do this!!

-Herald