Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Whey and Weight Loss

SpiritOfThings
SpiritOfThings
United States
2007/01/18, 03:36 PM
Hello, everyone. Just joined the site today. It's the best one I've seen around. Anyway, I did a fitBuddy search, and couldn't find the question I'm going to ask.

My main goal is weight loss. I'm 38, 214 lbs., I'm thinking I'd like to get to around 190-195. When I clicked on the "recommended supplements" link after I got my ft program, whey turned up in the weight loss AND muscle building categories.

Since my first main goal is weight loss, should I avoid whey? Since it helps build muscle, will it make it harder to lose fat? Thanks for taking the time to read my message!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/01/18, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the site!! :dumbbell:

If you're starting a weight loss program, you MUST increase your total protein intake percentage. The only way to lose weight is with a calorie deficit, but you do not ever want to cut out your protein sources. Whey is there as a 'back-up' in case you restrict your diet and sources of protein happen to be limited. Whey may not always be your best bet, though, due to its ability to be metabolized so quickly.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
SpiritOfThings
SpiritOfThings
United States
2007/01/18, 04:41 PM
Thank you. You look like you know what you're talking about!