Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

What to cook with

me9gh2an2
me9gh2an2
United States
2009/05/05, 11:31 AM
I love shrimp and I want to add it to my healthy diet. I use to cook it in butter and garlic. What is the best thing to use instead of butter? Also what can I replace alfrado sauce with? I am not a fan of tom. sauce, what else is good on whole wheat pasta with veggies?
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/05/06, 11:22 AM
Have you thought about making your own alfrado? Once in a while I get a craving for it, so I get the powdered mix but instead of using all the butter it suggests, I use the Parkay substitute that comes in a squeeze bottle. It sounds gross, but it's only 5 calories per serving. I also use skim milk instead of whole or 2% in the mix. It's not perfect, but it does taste good and saves a bunch of calories.
howlandplace
howlandplace
United States
2009/05/06, 11:26 AM
What about margarine? There's also stuff like low-fat oils and what not. Or you could season them with some parsley or other healthy stuff and steam them instead of sauteing.
2009/05/17, 06:47 PM
Maybe try Olive Oil. It may be higher in calories and fat but it is very healthy, natural alternative.
violetaweg
violetaweg
United States
2009/05/30, 06:44 AM
lttle tricks can go a long way specially considering the amount of empty calories in butter and in the alfredo sauce...
what you can do to cook the srimp in use a little "pan" those cooking sprays, just to avoid the shrimp sticking to to pan, or even better would be to brush them with a little olive oil and get them in the barbecue! u can still use garlic, which is amazing for your health!

instead of alfredo try buying a pre packed pesto sauce but skip all the oil they tell u to put in it, just mix is into the pasta while its still in the pan!

============
Quoting from me9gh2an2:

I love shrimp and I want to add it to my healthy diet. I use to cook it in butter and garlic. What is the best thing to use instead of butter? Also what can I replace alfrado sauce with? I am not a fan of tom. sauce, what else is good on whole wheat pasta with veggies?
=============