Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

what makes powerlifting better!

jspiked
jspiked
United States
2009/06/14, 03:43 PM
Is powerlifting really any better for you than other types of lifting?
Like is it really better to do powerlifting moves than just going to the gym and working a single muscle group?

--------------
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot, and hang on.
~pres. Roosevelt
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2009/06/14, 05:31 PM
depends on ur goals. powerlifting is the best for strength and power and bodybuilding is the best for muscle size. although (can't think of the word) with bodybuilding you will get stronger and with powerlifting you could gain muscle but both to a smaller degree. i think the best thing for functional strength is Strongman.

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2009/06/14, 05:50 PM

============
Quoting from devinm:

depends on ur goals. powerlifting is the best for strength and power and bodybuilding is the best for muscle size. although (can't think of the word) with bodybuilding you will get stronger and with powerlifting you could gain muscle but both to a smaller degree. i think the best thing for functional strength is Strongman.

=============
You have this flipped. Powerlifting will make you stronger and thicker. Most great bodybuilders have a decent powerlifting background.
jspiked
jspiked
United States
2009/06/15, 04:48 AM
if powerlifting will make you stronger and thicker than single muscle workouts,
then what is the positive of working single muscle groups?

--------------
~pres. Roosevelt
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/06/23, 02:25 PM
Generally speaking, there's little reason to isolate muscles when strength training.

As for muscle gain, it's all relative, however, three factors are really important.
The first is nutrition, you simply won't build muscle without a calorie surplus; make sure you're getting all your vitamins and minerals too.
The second and third are intensity and rest intervals. I'm getting overly simplistic here, but the idea is that you want to do a fair amount of volume in a short period of time with a relatively heavy weight.

Don't interpret this as me arguing with gatormade, because I'm not, but powerlifting isn't necessarily going to make you thicker, however, it certainly can. A lot of people get their cause and effect mixed up in regard to powerlifters; they think that these guys who dominate are huge and stocky because of their training. No doubt that this is partially true, however, in reality they are good at powerlifting because they have that advantageous shape genetically.
jspiked
jspiked
United States
2009/06/23, 09:47 PM
gotcha...thanks for all this.
I have decided to start mixing powerlifting techniques into my isolated muscle group workouts. Like I will start off with deadlifts or squats or power cleans and then finish my workout with a single muscle group. Thanks for all the advice

--------------
~pres. Roosevelt
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/06/24, 04:10 PM
You're soposed to do that anyways are you not even in bodybuilding?

Powerlifting(imo) is the actual sport. A powerlifter is a person who trains to do powerlifting.

Powerlifting technique(s) would be HOW the powerlifter squats, benches, deadlifts etc. To use his/her leverages for the lift to move as much weight as possible as safly as possible.

Cleans are a olympic movment.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

jspiked
jspiked
United States
2009/06/24, 04:57 PM
no i am not in bodybuilding, I just love to workout. I used to only do exercises that targeted specific muscle groups rarely doing compound muscle group exercises, and was just wondering wat made powerlifting techniques i.e. squats, deadlifts, ex. better

and i call them powerlifting techniques cause i couldn't think of a better term for it

--------------
~pres. Roosevelt
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2009/06/25, 11:17 AM
while there are a lot of subtle differences, the movements of bench, squat, and deadlift should be the fundamentals of any program. you can add in some rows, pullups, and maybe substitute some things, but these are the basic compound movements of a godo routine.

Powerlifting is about moving the most weight possible on those 3 competition lifts. I do not agree with it being necessarilly the most weight in the safest manor, but it is indeed the most weight with the form required of your respective federation.

And in regards to how you are structuring your training- that is exactly how many top notch guys lift. Hit their main "powerlifting" movement and then add in accesory work in what is essentially a bodybuilding style.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2009/06/28, 12:21 AM

============
Quoting from Tinnuk:

Generally speaking, there's little reason to isolate muscles when strength training.

As for muscle gain, it's all relative, however, three factors are really important.
The first is nutrition, you simply won't build muscle without a calorie surplus; make sure you're getting all your vitamins and minerals too.
The second and third are intensity and rest intervals. I'm getting overly simplistic here, but the idea is that you want to do a fair amount of volume in a short period of time with a relatively heavy weight.

Don't interpret this as me arguing with gatormade, because I'm not, but powerlifting isn't necessarily going to make you thicker, however, it certainly can. A lot of people get their cause and effect mixed up in regard to powerlifters; they think that these guys who dominate are huge and stocky because of their training. No doubt that this is partially true, however, in reality they are good at powerlifting because they have that advantageous shape genetically.
=============
Go watch Ronnie Coleman workout. His squat, deadlift, and bench are HUGE!!! The BEST bodybuilders are also strong is these lifts. Why? Because they stress alot of big muscle groups and they put mass on you. They most definitely make you thick.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2009/07/01, 12:26 AM

============
Quoting from Tinnuk:

=============
Sorry man but I just got stupider by reading this and it's stuff like this that makes this forum really suck.

If a new guy came along and believed this then he has left here not only less educated but misled and then will mislead others.

If your not a Powerlifter or never have been one at some time you can't teach anything about Powerlifting IMO becuase books and pamphlet based on theory is not the same as getting under some heavy ass weight and smashing it or it smashing you.

On the form issues this comes into play for DE days but a PR will most likely be ugly or a fair bit off of good form.

Nobody hits PR's consistently with good form becuase your form is braking down to hit that PR and is one huge reason we use not just 1 spotter but 3 and for the real badasses you'll see even more guys standing there to catch that weight if they even can.

If your not getting thicker from Powerlifting guess what your not Powerlifting your pretending.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!

Team Wild Iron
--------------
wildirongym.com
--------------
4-26-09 USPF Sacromento Open
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A8davwnh5Q
-------------
My Log http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1631
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2009/07/01, 12:30 AM
By the way I'm a Powerlifter registration # 90324 USPF!

I'm not close to elite but I smash and get smashed by weight that is heavy as shit for me!

:)

--------------

Team Wild Iron
--------------
wildirongym.com
--------------
-------------
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/03, 04:31 PM
============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:

Sorry man but I just got stupider by reading this and it's stuff like this that makes this forum really suck.

=============

I didn't say that powerlifting wouldn't make you thicker; I said that it doesn't necessarily do so. Most powerlifters are big, thick guys, but some aren't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Gant
Case in point.

Also, as I said before, the guys who dominate in powerlifting are thick and stocky largely due to genetics AND their training. Just powerlifting alone will not make you look like a powerlifting.

I didn't say anything that was strictly incorrect; building muscle is more effective with shorter rest intervals, as oppose to very long rest intervals. I even said that I was getting overly simplistic, but what I say is true.

The worst part is that I never really even disagreed with you. I'm sorry, but it's people like YOU that make this forum suck.

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/03, 04:32 PM
*will not make you look like a powerlifer.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/03, 04:35 PM

============
Quoting from gatormade:

Go watch Ronnie Coleman workout. His squat, deadlift, and bench are HUGE!!! The BEST bodybuilders are also strong is these lifts. Why? Because they stress alot of big muscle groups and they put mass on you. They most definitely make you thick.

=============

I agree, the guys who dominate in the sport are very thick, and this is largely due to their training. My point wasn't that powerlifting won't make you thicker, but 100% of people who powerlift.

Personally, I've put over 100lbs on my dead without gaining much more than a couple of pounds; that's my point.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/03, 04:36 PM
Shit, I keep having to correct myself here...

*100% of people who powerlift won't get a lot thicker.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2009/07/03, 07:36 PM
you have to have the genetic potential to add muscle to start off with. But if you have a good frame to start with you WILL get thick powerlifting. Trust me. All of my guys who train with me and powerlift all get thick. Lifting heavy weights with powerlifting movements will make you thicker. I'm done with this topic.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/03, 08:25 PM
I honestly didn't even care about the "thickness" argument, but when this SFGiantsMVP prick comes out talking shit, I got pretty f***ing pissed off.

I will concede that in MOST cases, serious powerlifters will get a lot thicker, as the stocky shape is very advantageous to the sport. My ONE AND ONLY POINT with all this was that big strength gains and big mass gains are not always interdependant. Atheltes who need to make weight or maximize relative strength are good examples of this (and let's not forget Mr. Gant).

I don't mind debate or constructive criticism, but the advice I gave was not even remotely worthy of insult.

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2009/07/03, 11:03 PM
Call me what you want it don't change the fact your wrong and don't no WTF your talking about.

Your actions and reply's to this thread is good reason why Gator Stays clear of this place and this part of this forum he pretty much hand built with his knowledge.

I'm done not only with this thread but this forum as a whole as I wanted to just stick it out but this type of stuff is so stupid it's not even funny.

I never got thick until I started Powerlifting, I got definition from splits but I got strong and think Powerlifting.

--------------

Team Wild Iron
--------------
wildirongym.com
--------------
-------------
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/04, 03:27 AM
Yeah, you just keep thinking in absolutes, regardless of context, being the critical thinker that you are of course.

I don't care what happened to YOU when YOU trained however YOU do. I'm not talking about YOU. I'm talking about generalizations here, and as far as generalizations go, I agreed with you inasmuch as it's mostly true.

If you're point is so set in stone, please tell me how a man at 123 pounds of bodyweight probably beats your deadlift, not to mention all your lifts in the big three.

You're real good at attacking the point I made, but you're pretty terrible at telling me why it's worthy of attack. Why don't you back up your points?

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/04, 03:41 AM
High-intensity + Powerlifting Movements are not the only pieces in the hypertrophy puzzle; there's a lot more to it than that. Factors such as nutrition, rest within the context of a single workout and overall, periodization techniques, etc. are also very important.
Moreover, strength gains in said movements and hypertrophy are not always interdependant, however, hypertrophy is often the best way to increase strength, especially when gains are stagnating.
Powerlifters' training will often induce a lot of hypertrophy, and the best powerlifters usually go for this due to a squat, stocky shape being a mechanical advantage in the iron games. The best powerlifters also have the shape they due because of their genetics.

Ok, there's the point I've made about 50 times on this thread, now if you disagree so strongly with it, and think it's still so stupid, then dismantle it in a constructive way instead of saying "it's stupid because it's stupid." Nobody likes circular logic.
2009/07/07, 01:20 AM
LMAO

Some of the best hypertrophy gains I made were from lifting heavy singles and 1rms...

SFG there's nothing to leave...this forum has been dead for last few years. I dont think it's even updated anymore, just same auto programs generated for total newbs.

That the reason why i shifted towards bb,com and sherdog s/p.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/07, 12:38 PM
That's funny, I don't recall ever saying that heavy singles couldn't induce muscle gain, in fact, I didn't even remotely suggest that...
2009/07/10, 05:03 AM
I wasnt saying you did. I just made a statement.

Let me talk to myself for f sake....lol...
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2009/07/11, 01:32 AM
Ok, let's examine WHY heavy singles make you bigger. Heavy weight with low reps elicits the highest natural testosterone response your body can produce. Now, the other part of the equation is Growth Hormone. How do we naturally manipulate this. The best way is set of 8-12 with a moderately heavy weight and short rest. This produces a lot of lactic acid which is quickly converted to lactate. High blood lactate concentration elicits a large growth hormone response. Hmmmm..... Maybe that is why most powerlifting programs follow max effort work with repetition work. You combine that with the proper diet and I don't care who you are you will get thicker as you get stronger. It is that simple. Now I am done.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2009/07/11, 02:53 PM
Forum has been dead due to a-holes,arguing and hating

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2009/07/11, 03:29 PM
No, the forum is dead because there are just better places to post. I hit this up every once in awhile because there is a part of me that still hates misinformation.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/12, 12:35 AM

============
Quoting from menace3000:

I wasnt saying you did. I just made a statement.

Let me talk to myself for f sake....lol...
=============

My bad...
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2009/07/12, 12:47 AM
============
Quoting from gatormade:

Ok, let's examine WHY heavy singles make you bigger. Heavy weight with low reps elicits the highest natural testosterone response your body can produce. Now, the other part of the equation is Growth Hormone. How do we naturally manipulate this. The best way is set of 8-12 with a moderately heavy weight and short rest. This produces a lot of lactic acid which is quickly converted to lactate. High blood lactate concentration elicits a large growth hormone response. Hmmmm..... Maybe that is why most powerlifting programs follow max effort work with repetition work. You combine that with the proper diet and I don't care who you are you will get thicker as you get stronger. It is that simple. Now I am done.
=============

I agree. I was talking about compressing rest intervals earlier, but beyond lactate, isn't ATP exhaustion a factor for hypertrophy as well, or are the two inter-related?
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2009/07/12, 12:53 AM
Lactic acid is a bi-product of energy expenditure so my educated guess is that they are inter-related. I think this topic has gone past most people's comprehension of the subject matter. If you really want to discuss this further then go to my website, www.purepowerathlete.com, and contact me through email.