Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

What makes a powerlifter a powerlifter?

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/03/29, 12:03 PM
These are my thoughts and feelings: What makes a powerlifter want to do what they do? It is not like many if any make a good living from it. It is not as if other normal people understand it. Only those that do it get it. Now I am not truly a powerlifter as of yet, at least in my eyes. I do not plan to compete, yet I feel a kinship with those that do. I love doing biceps curls and other same type exercises. But what really gets my blood flowing, what really gets that heart pumping, palms tingleing with excietment is the 3 lifts. The 3 lifts that are the heart, the back bone, the whole kit and kaboodle. Bench while one of my worst lifts is slowly become one the best. Squats, well nuff said! Deads? what can be said but I live and breath them. I realized that I like the other lifts outside of those three, becasuse they are so much easier. But every chest, back and leg day screams out to me. I dream about them all night long the night before. I think about them the day before. When i get to the gym it is all I can do but to get ready for them. I think there has to be either something born into a powerlifter or something not in their head in order for them to do the things they do.
Can anyone be a powerlifter? No I do not think so. But if you want it bad enough you can get there. Those that want it become one. THey are the ones that have blood dripping down their shins. They are the ones that have chalk ingranined into their palms. They are the ones that have hard callouses on their palms that time from time get ripped off. They are Powerlifters, which someday i hope to be.:dumbbell:

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/03/29, 12:06 PM
amen...i understand that part about if you want it bad enough...and let me tell you...something has really stirred inside me. I can't get it out of my head. I had a dream about it for crying out loud. Deads are amazing, i feel strong after i finish my deadlifts for the day. Hell i wanna run back the next day and do more, but that would be bad. I begin my journey...
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/03/29, 12:42 PM
Great post mutt!! You will compete!! next year we are doing the RIT push pull tournament. Adirondak Barbell and metal militia have allot of meets through out the year also.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am a beast and that is enough.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/03/29, 03:02 PM
i'm hoping oen day to compete, i love lifting craps loads of weight off the floor, I doubt I'll every be a "benchpresser" but deadlifts and squats I am king in my area. Hoping by the end of this year i can start doing reps in the upper 400s same with squats. maybe i need to invest in a work out partner lol

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/29, 03:47 PM
andrew...for your weight class you will need to deadlift around 650 and squat 800 if you want to be king in that area. And a workout partner would be a great idea.
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/03/29, 07:20 PM
yogi...im just curious how tall are you? we have very similar goals/weights etc (except im 160 now woohoo!)
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/03/29, 08:43 PM
damn. hehe, i have a ways to go to reach my goal (180-190) but i know i'll get it...damn being 6'0"

thank god next year i have a kitchen
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/03/29, 09:35 PM
i will hopefully be back to playing baseball. i'll be going to texas tech next year...