Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DIET

dknlvly
dknlvly
United States
2008/07/16, 10:25 AM
Can you please help me to figure out what I'm doing wrong with my diet?

I put myself on a low carb diet and eliminated sugar. The 1st/2nd week was fine. Now the 3rd week I'm having withdrawal symptoms like an Addict Detoxing. I feel HORRIBLE.

The only explanation I have is that this week I have not been consistent with my meals. Due to my busy hectic schedule I seem to skip breakfast/lunch and will have a snack and a low carb dinner if any.

The symptoms I'm experienceing are: dizziness, fatigue, nausea, shakes, sweats, cold/hot sweats, sleepless nights.

This a.m. I had a sandwich ww bread & peanut butter. I also ate 2 pieces of candy for sugar. I figured I may need some carb and sugar.

I cannot workout with my FT program due to the way I feel. Can you tell me what am I doing wrong? I feel so HORRIBLE!!!

thank you
dknlvly
2008/07/16, 10:36 AM
Skipping breakfast and luch will surely bring on bad sypmtoms. We all have hectic lives, but we must plan for them. Proper nutrition must be your priority along with exercise. Plan and prepare your meals ahead of time and eat them. How long does it really take to eat? Try and refocus and get back on track.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/07/16, 11:54 AM
I just wanna say that I've been where you are right now, and theres only one route that I've found to yield long term results. And unfortunately low carb dieting wasn't it.
I've heard of people having those symptoms when they switch to a low carb diet program. Ya know, carbs are your bodies primary fuel source. Your brain needs carbs to properly function. If I were you, I'd just concentrate on getting your diet down to a healthy and balanced level. Unless you've been prescribed a low carb diet by your doctor(for rapid weight loss) I'd steer clear from it. Most people that diet that way end up putting the weight back on once they go off of it. The trick with carbs is to get them from good sources like whole grains, fruits, or veggies. And to limit the ones from sugars or processed foods.
Definitely don't skip breakfast. Thats one of the tricks that Sumo wrestlers use to gain weight.
Try sorting out your calories into a split like this: carbs 50%, protein 30%, and fat 20%.
Use a metabolic calculator(not from this site, it estimates a little high) to get a grasp on how many calories your body needs during the day(or try eating 9-10 calories per day, per pound of your current body weight). Through diet AND exercise, try to cut around 500 calories less than your body needs per day. This should yield a pound or so of healthy weight loss per week. It's not as fast as low carb dieting, but the results will stay with you for much longer.
I'm not denouncing low carb dieting, and I think it has it's purpose, but if you're looking for long term results and health ya just need to work on balancing and managing your diet. And making healthier choices.
angiem6
angiem6
Canada
2008/07/16, 11:55 AM
If you are really that busy (and I am some days too...) buy some meal replacement shakes. They are certainly not ideal for everyday (you'll burn more calories and get better nutrition from real whole foods) but when you just can't sit down and eat a small meal - drink one of them.

If you keep skipping meals, you are going to continue to feel weak, dizzy nauseated etc, unable to workout, which will affect your energy level and put you into this neverending downward cycle.

Take control now. Make your nutrition a priority! What good are you to yourself or anyone else for that matter if you can't function properly? You're probably irritable and snappy too....(speaking from my own experiences of course!)

and then take KA advice and plan ahead....before you go to bed - hard boil some eggs and throw them in the fridge for a quick on the go breakfast on the way out of the door....