Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

what do you eat to get your cal. goals?

mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/19, 09:46 AM
I'd like to ask what everyone eats during the day to hit their caloric intake goals. My goal is roughly 3,000 calories, but due to my high cholesterol I'm trying to avoid fats while the same time trying to build muscle.

I'm trying to figure out a way for me to reach my goal of 3,000 calories. I hear people say, "I eat 5-7 times a day" and "eat alot of chicken and fish". But, what SPECIFICALLY do you eat to those 5 to 7 times? I'm having a tough time figuring out what to prepare, how to prepare it and when to prepare/eat it.

I usually eat one bowl of cereal with no-fat milk and a serving of whey protein shake in the morning. Then (while at work) I usually eat 2 pieces of fruit (usually bananas or apples) mid-day. For dinner, I usually eat a large portion of pasta or chicken. I may have a snack later on in the night (maybe some baked chips with salsa or something like that). I try to drink alot of low-fat milk to keep the proteins coming.

But, I don't seem to be able to reach the 3,000 calories.

So, I'm curious to know what people here specifically eat during the day, especially if you have a similiar goal of 3,000+ calories.

Thanks...John
Dilan
Dilan
Canada
2002/06/19, 10:11 AM
John,
I would say you need to eat alot more through the day. I don't think a banana or an apple is enough, especially for someone who wants to put on some more weight.
I am going to post up one of my meal plans when I finish putting it together. Then you can check it out, and I could also get some feed back from some of the other fine folk around here.
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/06/19, 01:57 PM
Try cottage cheese for a snack and consume a protein whey or a MRP around 3 times a day! Also try tuna, its good plain or mixed with some no fat mayo!
Good Luck

--------------
BQ
AMERICAN MADE
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/19, 02:20 PM
OK, here you go John. Cain posted this link after I asked a similar question a few weeks back. I have found so much on how many calories one needs, what types of foods, etc.. I have not until this link found a recipe/meal rountine that I could incorporate, that was doable. I have implemented a slight variation of the 'Get Big Diet' as shown on the site, basically I have upped it. I have gained 8 pounds in 2 weeks with very little fat. You can cut it back, or as i have, raise it, to meet your desired caloric intake. Check it out, I hope it helps you as much as it did me. And thanks to Rob via Cain for providing me the link.

Good Luck.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/fatlossdiet.htm

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/get_big_diet_by_jacob_wilson.htm

--------------
Ischjli
"Seven days without exercise makes one weak."
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/19, 03:10 PM
Thanks! Just what I was looking for...

Wow! Now I know why I've been so skinny my whole life! I've never eaten that much before on a regular basis (except for the military, when I gained 10 pounds during 8-week basic training, of which I lost completely the months immediately upon my return) and I'm just looking at one of the sample 2,500 calorie plans! The hard part looks to be the mid-day - I'll have to prepare some things that I can bring with me to work and will be readily available during the day at my desk.

This is good info, thanks!
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/19, 03:28 PM
Here's another question - if you don't reach your calorie goal during the day, are there some types of "calorie shakes" or bars or something that can give you the extra boost of calories if you need it? I don't want to run out to Burger King for a double-Whopper if I'm short on my calories - I would like to eat healthier than that :-)
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/19, 03:29 PM
Yeah, weight gainers. My shakes are 600 Calories a pop. Things like Nlarge from Prolab.

--------------
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice does.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/19, 03:41 PM
Many skinny people and hardgainers think they're eating enough...but when someone put a 3,000+ calorie plan in front of them, they get a little petrified at the amount of food they have to consume. Don't fall into this trap...don't be afraid. I was there, too and once you consume that amount of food, it becomes second nature.

Also, don't be afraid to put on a little fat...that's going to be natural if you aim to gain much mass!

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/19, 04:54 PM
Exactly like Rob said. The hard parts I have found are the shopping, preparation, and the last meal. Eating in general is NO problem once you start doing it on schedule. Thank goodness my job permits me to hit the fridge often too, this could be hard for some.