Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

What am I missing?

solman2k
solman2k
United States
2013/09/02, 08:26 PM
Just set up an initial workout for gym training.  I see the exercises, "videos", and suggested reps but do not see anything recommended for the weight.  I am working out of a home gym with a couple of cardio machines (recumbent and elliptical) and a resistance machine (bowflex-like).  It would be helpful if there was some recommendation on where to set the resistance for starts and then +/- based on how things go.
Mr_Geezer
Mr_Geezer
United States
2013/09/02, 10:22 PM
No two people would begin with the same weight. You have to experiment. If you are, for instance doing 3 sets , start with a lighter weight that you can finish say 16 reps very easily. Then up the resistance and do 14 reps. Progress to twelve, then ten reps. When you reach 10 reps, you should be able to finish with some effort.

The first set or two warms you up. The last set is the work. Good luck.
solman2k
solman2k
United States
2013/09/03, 11:27 AM
Kill_the_Geezer
No two people would begin with the same weight. You have to experiment. If you are, for instance doing 3 sets , start with a lighter weight that you can finish say 16 reps very easily. Then up the resistance and do 14 reps. Progress to twelve, then ten reps. When you reach 10 reps, you should be able to finish with some effort.

The first set or two warms you up. The last set is the work. Good luck.

---Thanks KtG,

Guess I got spoiled.  Used a pay site before but let things go and now the wheels are off the wagon.  Don't have access to any of my old logs.  They listed weight/resistance and then advised something similar to yours if that turned out to be too much/little in practice.  I did notice but does the log give you a place to track that setting once you get into the swing of things?  Memory isn't as good as it used to be so I'd like to have that recorded somewhere so that every time the same exercise is suggested it is not up to trial and error again.
Mr_Geezer
Mr_Geezer
United States
2013/09/03, 12:33 PM
The logs here are called "flogs" for fitness log. You can access your flog through the link at the top to your profile. Hold your curser over it and you'll see "my flog" in the drop down menu. You can look at other flogs by clicking on the "flog " header at the top of the page.