Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

What about hardgainers?

rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2001/12/20, 02:21 PM
I have always been a hardgainer (all my life). I have picked up weight training again (in my mid-30s) but can't seem to put on much mass. I am also taking Muscletech supplements (Hydroxycut, Nitro-Tech & Cell-Tech) which have helped me increase my metabolism and strength (about 25%), but I don't see too much progress with mass. Is this just going to be a slow process? I train hard, rest well and have been eating 5 - 6 meals a day (includes protein shakes). Any other suggestions other than patience??? Thank you!
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/20, 08:05 PM
Most hardgainers already have a fast metabolism so I would not take Hydroxycut if you are trying to put on mass! Its counter productive! I would invest in BCAA instead and continue with the creatine and protein supplements. Save the Hydroxycut for the lean out phase.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/21, 09:01 AM
Maybe you should try a weight gainer instead.... Maybe your body is burning way too fast your calories (and protein...) and nothing is left to build muscles.
I don't know your body type or your work out program, but try to calculate how many calories you need daily to gain weight. It's probably a lot more than you think.
Good luck to you!
rickgarvia
rickgarvia
United States
2001/12/23, 09:25 AM
Want to know the hard truth? Most hardgainers will never get really big. I've been workng out for years, and while I'm in decent shape with definition, I'm not big. I think the best approach is to accept your body type, and be content with the gains you can make.

I'm 6'1, 175#, and cut pretty good, but you can see that I'm not big. What works for me is lots of protein. I've tried the creatine and every other quick-fix powder in a jar, but found them too expensive to sustain usage.

rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2001/12/23, 11:05 PM
There HAS to be a way to overcome genetics! Last year, I weighed close to 190 pounds a year ago...but most of it was fat! I lost almost all of the fat (about 35 pounds) in 8 weeks and am now at 160 (gained 5 pounds after taking supplements). I only want to add another 10 - 15 pounds of muscle. I think I can do it! Anyway, thanks for being honest...but I'm not yet giving up!!! Will update you in a few weeks on my progress...
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/24, 01:55 PM
You cannot change your genetics. That was determined at birth. But you can change your physigue ie muscle and bodyfat by training and diet. So you are right not give up. Best Wishes.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2001/12/24, 04:02 PM
Well, that's not quite true...you can, if one resorts to anabolic steroids. You're right in that I want to change my physique and get proportionally fit (and not necessarily get that bodybuilder's physique). Thanks for the vote of confidence. Feel like I'm getting stronger (and somewhat bulkier) each week...
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2001/12/25, 11:12 AM
welcome to ft!

Bro, you should not mix hydroxycut with cell tech and nitro tech.. self defeating!.. For size, use the nitro and cell tech only. Also what are these 5-6 meals a day? You'll have to use a training program which will focus on heavy - basic training. This will make you grow.

.o0 Arnold 0o.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2001/12/26, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advice! I've stopped taking Hydroxycut. The 5-6 meals a day was advice I got from a former bodybuilder. I have just started the ft mass program but have tailored it for free weights as I workout at home and not in the gym. I like the progressive approach that end up with heavy weights at the end! I used to just start out with heavy weights from beginning to end. Prior to the ft mass program, I have been working out for a couple of months but have only seen very minimal gains (I'm starting to see more definition, but not mass). Since taking the supplements (about 2 weeks ago), I have gained 5 pounds. I hope to gain at least another 10 pounds at the end of the 12 week ft program! Will update you on my progress...
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2001/12/26, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advice! I've stopped taking Hydroxycut. The 5-6 meals a day was advice I got from a former bodybuilder. I have just started the ft mass program but have tailored it for free weights as I workout at home and not in the gym. I like the progressive approach that end up with heavy weights at the end! I used to just start out with heavy weights from beginning to end. Prior to the ft mass program, I have been working out for a couple of months but have only seen very minimal gains (I'm starting to see more definition, but not mass). Since taking the supplements (about 2 weeks ago), I have gained 5 pounds. I hope to gain at least another 10 pounds at the end of the 12 week ft program! Will update you on my progress...
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/27, 02:29 AM
It's nice to hear that you are finally getting results. The FT programs are great and you'll get more results, don't worry.
The 5-6 meals a day is to fasten the metabolism but also to avoid catabolizm which means that the body is in lack of nutritions to rebuild or recover its muscles so instead the body will take energy FROM the muscles..... Which is noooo good for us since our muscles then will decrease in size.....
Make sure of getting enough proteins in your diet.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2001/12/27, 10:26 AM
Thanks Philia2. I take Nitro-Tech about 2 - 3 times during the day (it can be used as a meal replacement). I also have tailored my food intake to include more lean meats, chicken breasts, eggs (getting sick of them though) and fish. Basically, I've significantly increased my protein intake. It's nice to hear good, sound advice from others as I'm doing this on my own without a training partner...
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/01, 02:22 PM
Quick update: thanks for the advice on not taking Hydroxycut!! Since I've started taking the supps (on 12/8) and stopped taking the Hydroxycut, I've gained close to 15 pounds! Although, I'm not sure if this is all muscle or mainly water retention from the creatine in Cell-Tech. Can anyone help shed some light? I've noticed that my physique changed in that I see more definition and have added about 1/2 inch on my arms...feels pretty good! Still going through the 12 week ft mass program; I think it's great!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/02, 03:19 AM
Great to give us updates about your progression!! If you see more definition then it's normally not water retention.

You should put in your profile, so we can see you as well!!!
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/02, 06:59 AM
I think a few of the pounds could be water due to the fact that hydroxycut does tend to dehydrate you. Creatine also will draw water into the muscle and increase your weight slightly. But all this is ok as it is the normal balance of the body.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/02, 01:17 PM
Lesli, I've stopped taking Hydroxycut about a week ago. Anyway, I think it could be partially water retention from the creatine, as you pointed out...but also that I've actually put on some mass. It's still hard to tell right now, but I'm sure I'll see more progress in the next 2 - 3 weeks. I hope to gain a few more pounds and will definitely put in my profile as Nina suggested.

More updates to follow...