Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Weird shoulder injury

eng_ler
eng_ler
United States
2005/07/19, 05:22 PM
My left shoulder ALWAYS fails before my right. This happens when doing shoulder excercises, but it even happens when excersising my chest--like doing dumbbell presses and lying triceps extentions. Also close to the last sets of lateral raises to work my delts, I have to concentrate to stop myself from shifting into this weird slightly twisted position. In 1998 my left collar bone was broken and healed overlapping; my shoulders are no longer at the same hight. In early 2002 I injured my left shoulder while doing bench presses and at the time it was sore and week and I had trouble raising my left arm while standing. I assume it has something to do with my present problem, so what do you think? I'm glad you read this post and look forward to your input. Thank you.
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/07/19, 06:08 PM
i would say to start training your shoulders unilaterally. by this i mean exercises that isolate each shoulder separately. say you are doing lateral raises, begin with your weaker arm, do however many you aim to and match it with your stronger arm. this will allow your weaker arm to gain strength, and your stronger arm to maintain what it already has. eventually, you will lessen the rift in strength difference b/t the two.
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2005/07/19, 10:55 PM
I would consult a therapist. The collar bone injury could be causing a shoulder capsule instability. They might be able to set up a program for you. There is also a device called a shouldr horn that might be usefull also.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am ANIMAL! and that is enough.
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/07/20, 08:32 AM
good point mmaibohm.. physical therapy may be a better option, they would have a greater body of knowledge and exercises than we could suggest.
eng_ler
eng_ler
United States
2005/07/20, 04:06 PM
That's some great input, and I appreciate your taking the time for it. Have a great day.