Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

vertical

Kidfreedom
Kidfreedom
United States
2004/05/19, 04:17 AM
just want to put this out there. My good friend is a sophomore at my high school, he's about 6'0 Filipino/Hawaiian kid. The guy's got mad hops! He can dunk with ease and has a vertical of around 43" and has yet to turn 16. It was insane seeing him nearly win a dunk contest against a 6'8 guy from california.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/05/20, 08:13 PM
it's crazy how athetic kids are nowadays. I can dunk but dang not so great. my vertical's like 26" probly. the thing is, I train like crazy and very hard, but one of my friends (he's a little taller than me) doesn't work out unless he has to (for football) and doesn't really kill himself on jumping, but he is absolutely killin the rim now, and I just don't understand.....how can I be so much stronger than him and be in better shape and work on it so much, but yet still he jumps a good 4 or 5 inches higher probly?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

tpascual
tpascual
United States
2004/10/07, 08:44 PM
some ppl were born with good vertical leap than others...

============
Quoting from Kidfreedom:

just want to put this out there. My good friend is a sophomore at my high school, he's about 6'0 Filipino/Hawaiian kid. The guy's got mad hops! He can dunk with ease and has a vertical of around 43" and has yet to turn 16. It was insane seeing him nearly win a dunk contest against a 6'8 guy from california.
=============
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/10/08, 12:19 PM
why is kidfreedoms post Always about hawaiians, somaoans?

--------------
....I\'m probably in my underwear typing this......or maybe not!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/10/08, 01:08 PM
i'm just asking for my understanding, so i won't do it again

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/10/08, 01:09 PM
sorry didn't mean to post that htere, meant to in another thread, disregard it.

--------------
2004/10/14, 04:38 AM
I have a guy at my gym...who is around 5'10 maybe 5'11 , like 165lb(somewhere around it).....he dunks off 2 feet ...he get sso high he almost get sboth elbows over the rim....he does 360s like most of us breath...I seen him do it around a defender...can't explain it...he doesn't train for it...is pretty weak lifting wise..but when i defended him...he's powerful...almost shocking...I couldn't keep him out of the paint...and I a good 40 pounds heavier and am much stronger than him...He jumps a foot and a half standstill on his jumpshot...Most amazing thing I ever seen....He deos a standstill turnaround jumpshot on the low block and gets rim level...I seen a blakc guy about 6'5 try to hang with him and block him...he was on the ground by the time he released the ball...i'd guess he jumps well over 45' inches....when my friend asked him one time what he does 'i don't really train for it, it's all about practicing your jumping form'....eh...I been trying to dunk myself but at 205 5-11/6'0.....It's hard...I jump off 2 feet and best jump was almost 4 inches over the wrist with my right hand...but I can't palm the ball...and with 2 hands I get significantly less over the rim...Frustrating considering I squat a lot more and was doing plyometrics for a while...what can u say genetics...
2004/10/14, 04:38 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
2004/10/14, 03:58 PM
hrm...i don't remember saying naything unsuitable, in fact I don't remember posting the 2nd post at all...heh..
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/10/14, 09:39 PM
You may accidentally double posted (very easy to do on this site), at which point a moderator will use the standard 'message deleted .... due to unsuitable content..." whether it was objectionable or not.

Another thing to watch out for is the automatic logouts if you take too much time composing a post. Then your post will be credited to 'null' instead of yourself. Of course that is something I NEVER do! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

============
Quoting from menace3000:

hrm...i don't remember saying naything unsuitable, in fact I don't remember posting the 2nd post at all...heh..
=============
2004/10/17, 06:04 AM
oh, thanks....that's cool to know..i was thinking what i said...heh
Jdog1
Jdog1
United States
2004/10/18, 12:23 AM
My vertical leap is like 32"(im 17 5'5" 125lbs) but all i do is free weights. When i was 14 my leap was 25" long before i started lifting. Some are just born with certain abilities. I once saw a guy who has never lifted before put 315 on the squat bar...he did it with ease he broke parallel and did it about 10 times with no trouble.
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/11/04, 11:02 PM
but then after that his knees broke off... heh, jk... anyways, one of my boys does nothing but jump rope (and jump around like a little mofo), and this kid can jump higher than the basket... he's kind of tall, and he can jump like jeebus or something...

--------------
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/11/07, 12:08 AM
Some people have crazy genetics. Menace, that guy that plays with you probably has an extremely high percentage of fast twitch fibers, and his light-weight body makes it even easier for him to propel his body up into the air. You may be stronger than him it maximal force, but he probably just exerts his force much faster, which is suprising when you're trying to guard somebody. Also, you don't have to palm the ball to dunk it, just use leverage and ball control. I can only get maybe 3 inches below my wrist over the rim, and I can do 360s on good days. I don't have big hands and can't palm it that good, or jump that high, a lot of it is ball control and knowing how to dunk.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

2004/11/08, 04:56 AM
aron do u jump of 1 or 2 feet? of 2 feet it's much more difficult to control the ball while propelling ur body upwards...I have seen people who can't get their wrist over the rim dunk because they go of 1 foot...My friend gets as high as me at 30 pounds less weight...and inch taller...but he jumps off 1 foot and ofcourse on days when he gets high enough he has no problem dunking...I have gotten around 3 inches over the wrist over the rim on a few rare occassions, but even then I could not dunk...maybe it's as u said knowing 'how' to dunk...don't know how else to explain it...
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/11/14, 09:46 PM
I jump better off one foot, though I have dunked off two before. I find it easier to control the ball (especially two handed) jumping off two feet. When I'm messin around on lower goals, I rarely jump off of one foot cuz my two footed dunks feel so much more comfortable to me. Jumping off one takes some balance and good hip swings, but off two feet your power has a whole lot to do with it and you're much more balanced. When I jump off one foot, I can dunk well with one hand, but two handed is just so difficult for me because it puts your body in a rather awkward position and your flight isn't as controlled.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/11/15, 05:46 PM
There's a dunk contest tonight at our basketball jamboree. It should be pretty good, I'll tell yall how it goes.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/11/15, 08:20 PM
It sucked! I wasn't in it cuz I thought I would get showed up by these talked up dudes. Everyone there was tryin stuff they couldn't do, the guy that won played it smart and stayed in his range. This one guy was supposed to do this 360 windmill and kept getting stuffed by the rim. Oh well.....I'm gettin in that next year

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

pimple
pimple
United States
2004/11/15, 08:53 PM
oh man, you should had stayed in it, dude... there was a little dunk contest thing here recently too, and this one kid also decided to not be in it for whatever reason... the contest was actually okay, but nothing special... except that after it was over, this one kid that stayed out of it decided to try something just for show, and he did one of the sickest dunks i've seen... he came from behind the basket and did a honeydip BEHIND his head... i'd never seen anything like that... talk about awkward positions =) oh well, good luck to you next year...

--------------
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/11/17, 09:35 PM
I can only do a tomahawk, reverse, 360, and a basic two hander. Woulda got some appreciation, but I still wouldn't have won. The dude that won did a two handed reverse off a lob and jumped over a teammate bent down. Oh well, I'll get somethin good next year.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

puresurfr2
puresurfr2
United States
2004/12/28, 01:59 PM
Sorry im a bit confused ??? but baller, you have a 27" vertical and you can do a 360 and a tomahawk ??? do you have really long arms ? or more vertical than you are giving yourself credit for ?

ive played basketball with jason kidd, gary payton, hook mitchell, edward allen , johnny hines, legrande newman ( died) and the best leaper i have ever seen was some kid named andre, he was nicknamed baby skywalker back in the early 80's he was 6'0 regular arms, but he could hang on the top of the backboard ! after that, it would have to be a tie between hook and legrande !
TheJumpDoctor
TheJumpDoctor
United States
2010/12/02, 06:41 AM
In order to have a good vertical, you have to have good quickness, strength, and flexibility. First you need to increase your flexibility and strength. Stretch before and after your workouts and this will improve your flexibility. You need to increase your leg strength until you can squat about 2x your body weight. When you do squats, you want to use a weight that is challenging. You should not be able to do more than 10 reps. If you can do more than 10 reps, then you are not really gaining any strength. I do about 3 sets of squats in one workout session. I highly suggest you buy a squat rack and a barbell, or join a gym that has one because squats are probably the most important exercise you can do to increase your strength. Once you can squat 2x your body weight, you need to do exercises called plyometrics. This increases your speed and quickness. It trains your body to "explode" upward when you jump. There are many plyometric exercises, so google them or go to youtube and watch how they are done. Training your vertical jump is very physically demanding on your muscles so make sure you rest. You need to let your muscles heal after a workout. I recommend on working out only 2x per week. Any more than that would stress your muscles out too much and you could end up hurting yourself. Drinking a protein shake after your workout can help your muscles heal more quickly. If you are overweight then you should try to lose some body fat by jogging or doing any other cardio exercise. Training your vertical takes time, so be patient. Feel free to visit my website http://improvingyourverticaljump.webs.com/

--------------
http://improvingyourverticaljump.webs.com/