Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Variation of Donkey Press for calves

adawei
adawei
United States
2003/01/06, 04:17 PM
Was reading the other string regarding this move and was wondering if this would be a suitable variation. Instead on having your workout partner sit on your back could you use the bar on a Smith Machine with weight added across you back to simulate the person? Seems like it should work and would reduce the risk of someone falling and hitting their head. Only thing I am wondering about is having all the weight concentrated in one area of the back, although I suppose you could use a cushion around the bar, any thoughts?

----------------------------
adawei1973

Never forget that hustle is a viable strategy.

rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2003/01/07, 10:52 AM
You could wrap a few towels on the bar to help cushion it on your back. Although, I believe you could probably substitute this by just placing the bar on your shoulders and just do standing calf raises.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
adawei
adawei
United States
2003/01/07, 11:20 AM
I have read a lot about calves in the last few days and all articles include not only standing raises but also the donkey raise. Is this exercise some secret? By all indications it appears to be the best. They almost all recommend working calves until total failure in order to build shape and muscle...any thoughts on reps?

--------------
adawei1973

Never forget that hustle is a viable strategy.