Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

uncontrolled eating

PamK
PamK
United States
2005/02/21, 06:12 PM
Can someone please help me? I don't know if what I do is called binging or compulsive eating or what, but I have a problem controlling my eating, not just every once in a while, but EVERY DAY. I eat constantly. Anything and everything, I'm not even hungry. My stomach could be bulging out, and I feel sick, but there I am still shoveling it in. What can I do? Please help!!
DaniDIEt
DaniDIEt
United States
2005/02/22, 07:51 AM
I have this problem too. I can't always fight it and it is related to me dealing with other problems, but sometimes if I just eat really slow, it helps to cut down on the amount of food. I try to feel what is bothering me instead which is never easy. A good example is last night, my husband and I were talking about money woes, and I wanted to binge. REALLY BAD. So I did after everyone went to sleep. I am pissed at myself for the lack of control. Keep trying to do good. It's all you can do.
amypumpkin
amypumpkin
United Kingdom
2005/02/23, 01:50 PM
Pam, you are not on your own, I opted for counselling in the end and it was a big help, not a cure there is no magical cure - just a lot of hard work and looking at yourself and coming up with stratagies, but counselling helped me. If you are not in the position to go to counselling order yourself a book on compulsive eating, or see if there is some in the library. Not a diet book but a compulsive eating book, it's a starting point and it will help. Read it even if you cannot stop the binging right now, don't put it to one side and tell yourself you'll read it later when you are stronger, read it now. Let me know how you get on, but take steps, please take steps now. Big hugs from someone who knows
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/02/23, 04:09 PM
Start writing down what you eat. I know, you've heard this before but try it for one week. Then go over it with someone, (email me if you like)and eliminate and exchnge some items.
Also find something to do with yourself. Like a walk, a book, a bike ride:big_smile::big_smile:.
You have to substitute the activity of eating for something healthy.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/02/24, 10:29 AM
And don´t EVER starve yourself - the resulting hunger can trigger a binge - eat at least every 3-4 hours.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/25, 09:59 AM
Princesslodgey hit the nail on the head - many bingers binge due to skipping meals, eating nothing but a Slimfast all day, not getting enough energy into your body so what happens? You are FAMISHED and after fighting the impluse you rush to the food and start stuffing before you can even think about what you are doing - often times even ignoring any little voice screaming at you to STOP, STOP! You are on a rollercoaster of misery and unless you take charge, you may continue. The only thing I found that has alleviated these urges "for me" is eating every few hours, I eat within an hour of getting up now, again at approx. 10:00 again at noon, again at 1:00, again at 3:00, again at 5:00 and then that is it - no more after dinner, absolutely nothing, that is my cut off. I have found myself so much more content with food, where before it was this love/hate relationship and it was intense! Now it is just a part of my day, but if I skip one of those small meals, I can tell and I have learned to LISTEN to my body's signals, if my stomach says it is hungry, it most often is and I have found that it us usually right around the time my next meal is coming up!!

Ivan is so right with the writing down what you eat, you may amaze yourself with the amount of or lack of calories you are getting. As he said, just try it!

The truth is you have to acknowledge where you are having difficulty, writing it down helps you SEE as sometimes we ignore what we are doing. Then tackle things a step at a time, don't make 100 promises and goals, make one and stick to it, then another, then another. Find out what works for you, there are many great ideas here on FT, see if any help you or combine them.

Good luck to you, binging is a battle, but it CAN be won, if there were medals for it, I would be crawling due to the weight of them all, but I have found ways to overcome it, that does not mean I am not still affected by it and it threatens me from time to time, but I have learned ways to overcome it by making necessary changes as I have learned it won't go away by itself!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/25, 10:05 AM
What I dealt with is bulimia nervosa. When I was a teenager in into my early 20's I battled anorexia, which became bulimia nervosa when I finally did begin eating and binging became part of that and took me over.

Please learn all you can, see a doctor or counselor as any and all of these are detrimental physically and mentally. Here is a website I thought some of you may be interested in:

http://www.athealth.com/Consumer/disorders/Bingeeating.html

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
stars58
stars58
United States
2005/05/01, 03:03 PM
Hi, I have been having an eating disorder for a couple of years and i was rllly skinny...now i binge constantly....its so emabrassing...then i sometimes throw up...wut is wrong with me...and i am gaining so much weigth. I dont want gain weight...but i dont want to be too skinny. I dont knwo who to talk to ...and too emabrassed to tell anyone that I binge eat.