Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

training program

letsgetserious
letsgetserious
Canada
2009/01/12, 10:22 AM
Hi guys. Just wanted some feedback on this program if possible. I am 6'1, 175 pounds. Trying to gain 10-15 pounds of lean muscle. Here's what I've got going on ...

MON

3x12 incline bench
3x12 flys
3x12 chest press

TUES

3x10 curls, various angles
3x10 lat pulldown
3x15 skull crushers
3x10 bicep curls

WED

3x10 shoulder press
3x10 pull ups
3x10 pull downs

THURS

repeat MON

FRI

repeat TUES
2009/01/12, 10:30 AM
Honestly it sucks. Pick a program from here and you will be much better off.
2009/01/12, 03:33 PM
your name and your 'program' are quite ironic....

you dont know shit about training so you should avoid making your own programs.

If you want to gain size and strength then I suggest picking a whole body training program such as a 5x5 variation. ripptoe's 5x5 and madcow's 5x5 are both pretty good jumping off points.

If serious training is your goal then I would explore t-nation.com, elitefts.com, rosstraining.com, etc...

If you're not doing heavy squats, deadlifts, standing presses, weighted chin ups(bw if u are starting), bench press, etc....

you're a typical bench/curl monkey....and today is the day you should reconsider if becoming stronger, more muscular, more lean, more athletic, etc...stop being 99.9% of people at the gym and use your time wisely....
2009/01/12, 03:34 PM
if you're not doing the lifts I listed in the gym you are wasting your time*
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2009/01/12, 03:53 PM
Where is the Leg Work? Where is the Lower Back Work? (Or is the Lat Pulldown a Full Body Pull for You)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khTu997jdCg

:)

Cliff
2009/01/12, 04:02 PM

Amen brother

============
Quoting from menace3000:

your name and your 'program' are quite ironic....

you dont know shit about training so you should avoid making your own programs.

If you want to gain size and strength then I suggest picking a whole body training program such as a 5x5 variation. ripptoe's 5x5 and madcow's 5x5 are both pretty good jumping off points.

If serious training is your goal then I would explore t-nation.com, elitefts.com, rosstraining.com, etc...

If you're not doing heavy squats, deadlifts, standing presses, weighted chin ups(bw if u are starting), bench press, etc....

you're a typical bench/curl monkey....and today is the day you should reconsider if becoming stronger, more muscular, more lean, more athletic, etc...stop being 99.9% of people at the gym and use your time wisely....
=============
2009/01/12, 11:02 PM
damn it...i have a problem finishing my sentences....my bench/curl monkey sentence...was meant to finish with 'if all those things are your goals..."

wish this site would finally get a ##$%ing edit feature...
Speeder
Speeder
Canada
2009/01/16, 09:39 PM

Here is a Sample work out, that is full body, and incorporates the Big Compound lifts. This is what I am currently doing. I'm not telling you to do my workout, but giving you an example of a full body routine. Hopefully you can see the difference in this routine from yours.

I aim for 8-6 reps, and do 3 sets. You could also optionally put Bi's and Tri's on the same day, and do Back and Chest alone, or with abs...

If you are uncertain what a lift is, you can look it up here:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Workout:

Day 1 - Monday

Chest

3x Bench press (Alternate Weeks with Dumbbells and Barbell)
3x incline Dumbbell press
3x incline Dumbbell Flys

Tri's

3x weighted Dips
3x Skull Crushers
3x Overhead Extensions

Day 2 - Tuesday

Back

5x5 Chin ups
3x Deadlifts
3x Dumbbell Rows

Bi's

3x Hammer Curls
3x Concentration Curl
3x Standing Barbell Curl

Day 3 - Wednesday

Core

3x Cable Crunches
3x Cable Wood Choppers
3x Cable Side Leg Strides
Med Ball Side Core Twists

3x Forearm Curls
3x Calf Raises

Hiit Cardio 30 min

Day 4 - Thursday

Shoulders

3x Dumbbell Military press
3x Side Lat raises
3x Front Lat Raises
3x Rear Delts
3x Barbell upright row

Traps

3x Barbell Shrugs
3x Dumbell Shurgs

Day 5 - Friday

Quads

3x Squats
3x Leg Press
3x leg extensions

Hams

3x Machine leg Curl

Calves

3x machine calf raises

Day 6 - Saturday

Rest

Day 7 - Sunday

Rest
letsgetserious
letsgetserious
Canada
2009/01/21, 01:02 PM
thanks for the comments. everybody except speeder was extremely rude. i thought it would be possible to receive some unprejudiced feedback. instead, menace3000, you responded like a world class jackass. the program came from a men's magazine and i was considering doing it but i wanted to some opinions first. perhaps i should have contacted bb1 directly as he conducts himself in a professional and pleasant manner. i have done all of the olympic lifts in the past and am aware of their fundamental benefits. i am far from a typical bench/curl monkey ... was looking for something different after a long absence from the gym. I have opted to go with rippetoe's basic program for all those who actually care. speeder, thanks for the constructive comments minus the attitude.
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2009/01/21, 03:02 PM
Wow, It's to bad you feel that way. It seems as though Menace3000, KA , and Myself, all questioned where your Leg and Lower Back Work was/is. And Now you have decided to use Rippetoe's Basic Program (I assume Starting Strength), which is a 3-day Fullbody workout, utilizing Lots of Squats.

I know because that is currently the program I am doing with great success. You can get lots of help and advice here, but you must first check your Ego and Attitude at the HomePage. We do all have our own type of Humor.

Enjoy your workout, it's Brutal, especially to start out.

Cliff
2009/01/21, 03:02 PM
It looks like you were wise and took the advice of menace3000. He know what he is talking about so stop crying and start lifting.

============
Quoting from letsgetserious:

thanks for the comments. everybody except speeder was extremely rude. i thought it would be possible to receive some unprejudiced feedback. instead, menace3000, you responded like a world class jackass. the program came from a men's magazine and i was considering doing it but i wanted to some opinions first. perhaps i should have contacted bb1 directly as he conducts himself in a professional and pleasant manner. i have done all of the olympic lifts in the past and am aware of their fundamental benefits. i am far from a typical bench/curl monkey ... was looking for something different after a long absence from the gym. I have opted to go with rippetoe's basic program for all those who actually care. speeder, thanks for the constructive comments minus the attitude.
=============
2009/01/22, 10:22 PM
Bahaha....alright...whatever makes you feel better...

Although I hold a VERY low opinion of newstand fitness magazines....even they dont advocate the bullshit you posted in the first post so nice try...

I am glad you went with SSII program as its very effective for most beginners.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

if you dont have the book ...that post is a nice write up of the program and the lifts.

You obviously dont know me because you would know that I am a nice guy but I will not sugar coat anything and will tell you how things are whether you like it or not. Take it for what it's worth.