Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Training / Overtraining

Moridin
Moridin
United Kingdom
2001/06/25, 12:24 PM
Hi folks,
I am new to gym training with regard to weights and so forth. I have concerns about doing this weights plan that I have chosen .... I do martial arts 2 times a week and I plan to do weights, the days I do marts will be my rest days. I wish not to gain over-all body mass and such but I wish to gain even more definition and shape than what I have at the moment. My Sensei says I can either increase the number of sessions I do (unfortunately I cannot due to work committments) or go to the gym.
As a general rule I dislike gyms primarily because the few times (5 times 4 different gyms) I have gone I have had to put-up with a long wait to use the weights and general rudeness by big massive aggro times for politely asking whether I could use the machine when they had finished. To be paying the stupid amounts of money to go to a gym and put up with that kind of rubbish is terrible. Thus I refuse to go to the gym despite what anyone says to me.I am far from aggressive and would rather run looking like a coward than apply the many techniques I have learnt over the years I have done marts. To solve this dilemma I have bought myself a bench and some weights.
In terms of fitness I am fairly fit as I have to bike to and from work (5 miles away) everyday ... however my concerns are over-training and losing flexibility. Can I do myself damage by training 5 times a week ... 3 sessions with weights and 2 down the martial arts club? Can I also lose flexibilty by doing weight training?

Any replies to this will be gratefully received ..

Thanks

Andy
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/06/25, 08:44 PM
If you're practicing your art during the week you're probably stretching prior to practice. Lifting to ilncrease tone and/or endurance will not lead to decreased flexibility as you stretch regularly. High reps/low weights help to increase endurance. As your progress you can change the exercises you do to exercise different muscles, and vary your weights. As strength increases increase your weights. Listen to your body it will tell you what it needs.
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/06/27, 09:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your gym sessions. Have you tried the YMCA? They might be a little friendlier. Early morning is also not so crowded if you can do it. You shouldn't lose flexibility if you are training to tone. Don't go for the heavy weights if you are concerned about too much muscle mass. Training 5 times a week should be OK; two rest days are needed for your body and to keep you fresh. Good luck with your program!!
mmikee
mmikee
Egypt
2001/07/08, 05:43 AM
Watch overtrainnig, it will sneak up on you from no were.

best thing to do is listen to your body if you are to tired to go to the gym then rest.

I have problems when mixing Hi-intensity weights with cardioover 30 min. If I over do the cardio then i have 1-2 days of low energy while recovering. It is a question of balance and listening to the body.

good luck