Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

torn pec

timbaland
timbaland
United States
2003/08/11, 01:03 AM
Hey guys. A recent incident at my school has kind of gottne me worried about lifting. Well some guy tore his pec muscle while trying to bench press 350 pounds. I'll just say it wasn't a pretty sight. I was wondering if theres a way to minimize your risk of tearing a muscle? I know the importance of proper form, but do you guys think that if you try to lift more than your body can handle then this can happen regardless of form? A personal trainer told me that when he benches over 300 he only goes down halfway now as he tore his pec muscle before.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/08/11, 01:30 AM
Sounds like more than bad form. More like no clue about proper training in general.

Of course if your body can't handle it, you're going to injure yourself. The idea is to teach your body to handle it. People like that tend to jump into trying to lift a weight with no prior cautions only to show how macho and cool they are. As a result, 90% of the time they just end up hurting themselves and looking like idiots.

Some injuries may happen no matter how careful you may be. But the goal is to minimize those risks. Proper diet and rest are HUGE factors. But also, learning to train up to a certain weight: taking your time with auxillary exercises; maintaining fantastic form; and being realistic with yourself every step of the way - in other words, leave your ego at the door.

Does this mean not to set goals and challenge yourself? Of course not. You must push yourself in order to succeed. But it means taking calculated risks, not irrational choices and to Hell with the consequences! Look, not too many of us are ever going to squat 1100 lbs., but without some goals, how are you going to know when you succeed, and, more importantly from a learning perspective, when you fail?

When I lift, I always look at it as a war between me and my enemy, the weight, and it's ally, gravity. And, if you're going to defeat your enemy, you must know and understand yourself as well as you know your enemy. To quote Sun Tzu from The Art of War:

"Know yourself and know your enemy.
You will be safe in every battle.
You may know yourself but not know the enemy. You will then lose one battle for every one you win.
You may not know yourself or the enemy.
You will then lose every battle."

Good luck, and never be afraid of the weights...

--------------
Michael

\"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!\"

\"Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!\"