Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

torn acl, blown meniscus.. Help!

kitamon
kitamon
United States
2010/04/09, 10:53 AM
Need advice from someone who isn't a md!

Injured 4 months ago, been in a brace ever since. Didn't know extent of damage until recent MRI. I am a full time nursing student. Gradate this august. Can't take time off for surgery without being tossed out of nursing school. (Yeah, I know, not very nice of them.. but I wasn't surprised and they don't give a darn about the ADA) Dr's want to operate "last week", but I just can't. MRI says ACL hanging on by "a few fibers".

I need to keep those 'few fibers' intact long enough to graduate and take state boards. But I am getting tired of laying around & getting fat despite a low cal diet.

What can I do?
What shouldn't I do?

Has anyone had the ACL replacement? I need to know other's experiences with the pain & pain meds. Just how wasted will I be? Will I be able to study for state boards... or should I limp around the one more month until I take the boards.

(I had some back surgery in the 90's and oh boy the drugs they had me on... I slept through Hurricane Fran in Wilmington at landfall. Friend's still tell tales of finding me watching TV... when we had no power so of course no tv.. just a blank screen!)

I have worked so freaking hard for 4 years to get where I am right now. I have to graduate!!

Thanks for your help. Glad I found this site.