Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Too skinny want to gain but be healthy

lcltack
lcltack
United States
2007/06/28, 04:40 PM
Hello, I'm new here.....I have been very skinny all my life. I'm 34 years old, I weigh 109 lbs, I eat anything I want to whenever I want to. I have had 3 children. And I have stupid doctors that tell me I have a high metabolism and that I should be happy because there are a million woman out there that would love to look like me.......But, I'm not happy I don't like to be this skinny. Every time I start to do a workout I end up loseing more weight then I get scared and stop working out. I don't know what to do, a lot of people have told me to eat a lot of breads and pastas but that doesn't even seem to work....I even had one doctor tell me I should go to Hardee's every day and get a choc shake. Please help. Thanks! Lisa
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/29, 07:59 AM
Here are some tips for gaining mass - which it sounds like you want to do...this example is for a man, but you can modify it for your caloric needs. It will take time and consistency to gain weight, but I think you can do it.

I got this from this website: http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/hard-gainers.asp

Plan 1: Example menu plan for someone wishing to gain quality weight on a budget.

Time Food Protein
Wake 7:30 am
7:30 1 scoop whey protein 20g

8:00 breakfast large bowl wholewheat breakfast cereal with 1/3 pint skimmed milk + sugar 15g
2 slices wholemeal bread toasted + olive oil spread 22g
½ portion weight gain drink with water and multidextrose powder
100ml orange juice + 1 tblsp olive oil

10:30 sandwich (wholemeal bread + olive oil spread + filling) 25g
fruit

12:30 tuna (95g) + 1 tblsp natural yoghurt 27g
½ small chicken breast (60g) 18g
4 slices wholemeal bread + olive oil spread
salad
low fat yoghurt 7g

15:00 sandwich (wholemeal bread + olive oil spread + filling) 25g
drink of skimmed milk - 1/3 pint 7g
fruit

17:00 ½ portion weight gain drink with skimmed milk and multidextrose powder 27g
TRAIN
18:30
(after training) 2 scoops whey protein 40g

19:30 mackerel (95g) 20g
either 2 medium jacket potatoes
or 200g boiled brown rice
or 350g boiled wholewheat pasta
vegetables
low fat yoghurt 7g

22:00 large bowl wholewheat breakfast cereal with 1/3 pint skimmed milk + sugar 15g

23:30 1 scoop whey protein in skimmed milk 25g
23:30 - BED
Total Protein 320g

Plan 2: Example menu plan for someone wishing to gain quality weight with more money at their disposal.

Time Food Protein
Wake 7:30 am
7:30 1 scoop whey protein 20g

8:00 breakfast large bowl wholewheat breakfast cereal with 1/3 pint skimmed milk + sugar 15g
2 slices wholemeal bread toasted + olive oil spread 22g
½ portion weight gain drink with water and multidextrose powder
100ml orange juice + 1 tblsp olive oil

10:30 ½ portion weight gain drink with skimmed milk 27g
fruit

12:30 tuna (95g) + 1 tblsp natural yoghurt 27g
4 slices wholemeal bread + olive oil spread
salad
low fat yoghurt 7g

15:00 Full portion MRP* made in half water + half skimmed milk 48g
fruit

17:00 ½ portion weight gain drink with skimmed milk and multidextrose powder 27g
TRAIN
18:30
(after training) 2 scoops whey protein 40g

19:30 mackerel (95g) 20g
either 2 medium jacket potatoes
or 200g boiled brown rice
or 350g boiled wholewheat pasta
vegetables
low fat yoghurt 7g

22:00 ½ portion weight gain drink with skimmed milk 25g

23:30 1 scoop whey protein in skimmed milk 25g
23:30 - BED
Total Protein 346g

*MRP stands for meal replacement powder.

Both plans are very high protein but are also contain varied quality protein sources, distributed regularly throughout the day. Plan 2 contains more weight gain powder and includes an MRP, which I omitted in Plan 1 due to expense. I did, however, feel it was important to include some whey protein and weight gain drinks and multidextrose powder.

In addition to this the bodybuilder should drink plenty of fluid, especially water frequently throughout the day. He or she may enjoy a couple of cups of tea or coffee, but not at the expense of more nutritious drinks.

IMPORTANT - remember both plans are merely a guide and must not be stuck to rigidly. Vary your food choices daily, using your nutrition knowledge and imagination. Have different sandwich fillings. Including some junk food occasionally will do no harm, in fact will add variety to your regimen, and also valuable calories. Remember to eat a balanced healthy diet, which is reasonably low in fat and high in fruit and vegetables, and drink plenty of water.