Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

too puch protein.. is it possible?

spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2001/07/03, 02:47 PM
I know you should get about 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight a day.....but is there such a thing as consuming too much at one time? Is there a time lapse for absorbtion? Can you get too much?

Thanks in advance!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/07/03, 04:46 PM
Your body can only absorb so much protein at one time. This amount is dependant on your body; each individual is a little different. Be sure to consume your protein in increments throughout the day, not all at once. Any excess protein with simply be converted to energy. About 30-35% of your protein should be consumed during your post-workout meal. For me, that's 65g+. I try to consume a small protein-rich meal or shake about every 3 hours. Be sure to eat good, high-quality carbs with your protien for max absorption.
sandman1202
sandman1202
United States
2001/07/05, 02:26 AM
What is your goal? Are you trying to lean down or pump up? If you're leaning down then cut your protein intake to half, and eat every 2 hours. It might seem like a lot to eat every 2 hours, but your body will soon get used to it and most people have a tendency to miss a meal. Eating every 2 hours allows you to make up for lost supplements. By feeding yourself often you'll speed up that metabolism. For good absorbtion though take 20-30 grams of protein with in one-half hr after your work out. Your body is looking for the building materials once you stretch and rip those muscle fibers. Giving your body the needed materials is crucial for development, toning, and shaping.

Adam