Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Toning Bum and Thighs

padams
padams
United Kingdom
2003/03/05, 06:24 AM
I am going on my holidays soon and would obviously like to look my best on the beach. I need to tone up the tops of my thighs and bum, could anyone suggest any exercises that I could do to tone this area, I don't go to the gym but I do have some free weights at home. Also as a general query am I best doing a high number of reps with a moderately heavy weight or am I best using a heavy weight and doing less reps?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Pol
JennVice
JennVice
United States
2003/03/05, 10:19 AM
you'll hear this: do a search of the site. I'm positive this topic has been discussed.
However, :) :) :) here's some ideas... squats, lunges.... there are a couple good videos out there (Tae Bo or Crunch fitness)
earth_angel0001
earth_angel0001
United States
2003/03/05, 02:30 PM
Squats and lunges seem to be the most popular recommendations for working on the lower half of our body, but doesn't that build up the large muscles in the thighs?

The only reason I bring this up is because I've been doing a pilates program this past year, and one thing that is constantly stressed is that in pilates, you are working the smaller muscles that SUPPORT the larger muscles. In effect, this is suppose to give you elongate the muscles because it is not building up the larger muscles...

It seems to be working for me, but since hearing that, I've been scared, so to speak, to add any other types of workouts with the lower body -- exercises like lunges and squats... Does anyone know or have an opinion?

Padams: I would definitely recommend starting a pilates program. I use the Winsor pilates, and it's great. It's a video program, and you start seeing/feeling results almost immediately.