Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

THR AND WEIGHT LOSS VS B/P MEDS

LOEYRN
LOEYRN
United States
2009/03/31, 11:39 AM
Hey everyone!

I have a problem, and don't know the answer. Up until January 24th of 2008, I was an active woman. I worked, and maintained a busy life. I bought a treadmill January 2008. 2 days later, I severely broke my ankle. (I mean broke it so bad that the leg and foot were only attached by skin) I have had 3 surgeries on the dang thing, and am facing the 4th. With 3 plates and 17 screws, walking with a normal pace/gait is not possible. SO - Needless to say, couldn't use the treadmill. So, I sold it and bought a Stamina Elite Total body workout fitness bike. It has pedals and hand pedals to achieve a total body workout.

Here is my problem. Since I broke my ankle, I am in pain 24/7. That has lead to my blood pressure going through the roof. So, I am on 3 different B/P meds to bring it down.

In order to lose weight with exercise, I have been told that I need to get my target heart rate to 140. With the B/P meds - I can't get my heart rate higher than in the 90's.

I have gained so much weight being down over a year now. My hubby (God Bless Him) can't cook. His answer to feeding me has been fast food - sandwiches and the like. I didn't realize how much weight I had gained until I tried on jeans that do not fit anymore....I have been asking for salads etc. of late.

Can someone give me some ideas? Am I able to lose weight exercising and not get my target heart rate up to the 140's? Is the exercise bike a waste of my time? I am so discouraged!

I just want my life back.

Sincerely,

Loey :(
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/03/31, 12:26 PM
"I have gained so much weight being down over a year now. My hubby (God Bless Him) can't cook. His answer to feeding me has been fast food - sandwiches and the like. I didn't realize how much weight I had gained until I tried on jeans that do not fit anymore....I have been asking for salads etc. of late."

Therein lies your main problem. Your Diet has to be your #1 priority. Definitely work on fine tuning the diet. You could run until you pass out or puke, but if you're eating too many calories(yes you have to count them) you won't lose weight. Look into the diet forums for more advice on that.
The heart rate thing is a double edged sword. Even at a lower heart rate, exercise burns calories NO MATTER WHAT. What you are lacking is the cardiovascular benefits from the exercise. So don't give up the bike, you're still burning calories on it.