Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Thinking of competing in Ottawa

cheekymonkai
cheekymonkai
Canada
2008/09/11, 11:41 PM
Hey All,

I have been training off and on, for about 14yrs now. I have always thought about competing but never got up the nerve. Does anyone know the areas, I should be looking into for competitions in Ottawa, Canada? and @ what age is to late to start competing? I am now 28, and strong back into lifting again. I would like to @ least enter one amateur competition (life goal).

Thank you for your help in advance!
cheekymonkai
cheekymonkai
Canada
2008/09/11, 11:56 PM
Oh! One more thing...what does a general amateur competition consist of?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/12, 06:54 AM
a good site with lists of competitions www.liftforlife.com

it is never to late to start competing. I think women get better muscle shape and maturity as they age (that is if you are doing bodybuilding), figure maybe a little harder as you age becuase gravity does affect you and a 30 something has a hard time looking as firm and shapely as a 20 something, not to say that there aren't some slamming 30 something and 40 something physiques out there...I just think it gets harder to compete with the younger athletes..

Amateur copetition consists of...bodybuilding pre-judging and evening show - with your weight class you will be put through a series of quarter turns with specific poses for the judges, if you place top 3-5 (depends on competition) you will perform a 1 minute posing routine in the evening show.

Figure - you will be called out with your height class/age class and do quarter turns. You do this both in a one piece and a two piece suit. then you do 'model' poses - where you come out when they call you, individually, and do your own version of side, front, back and side poses.

Fitness - same poses as figure, but you will do an athletic routine that is...I think 4 minutes long that consists of specific strength moves and gymnastics/dance of your choice.

Good luck, hope this helped...asll of my info may not be correct depending on the org you end up competing in, but every competition will have either a website with the judging info and competitor info in it or will send you a form with the info on it.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
cheekymonkai
cheekymonkai
Canada
2008/09/12, 09:35 AM
super useful! thank you tonnes Simmer!
cheekymonkai
cheekymonkai
Canada
2008/09/12, 09:45 AM
With looking into competing...seems most woman have smooth skin along the legs...I have cellulite along my upper thighs...does that get smoothed out, as I train more? or does a bronzing cream tend to hide it for competitions?
cheekymonkai
cheekymonkai
Canada
2008/09/12, 10:04 AM
Going to liftingforlife led me to ifda.ca which seems to have alot of ongoing competitions within my area....hoowah. Also did more investigation and it would be figure competition, I would like to go after....tre stoked
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/12, 11:26 AM
Your cellulite should disappear when you are lean enough and tanning will help, I also believe in firming lotions.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
cheekymonkai
cheekymonkai
Canada
2008/09/12, 03:05 PM
any recommendations on firming lotions?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/12, 05:49 PM
I used the cheaper brands, St Ives, Jergens, Oil of olay...
NaturalBBEvents
NaturalBBEvents
United States
2008/10/07, 12:54 PM
Hello

Here is a Contest Schedule with shows from all over the world.

http://www.naturalbodybuildingevents.com

This site also Also provides information on Natural Organizations, Seminars, Trainers and Competitor Resources.

Hope this helps!

--------------
Joe Agostinelli
NaturalBodybuildingEvents.com