Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Target HR - Have I been wrong?

buffychick
buffychick
United States
2009/03/17, 11:42 AM
I?m taking a fitness class through city college, and I found out my target heart rate when working out (hitting Aerobic exercise) would be around 145.
Generally when I work out, my heart rate ranges from about 165 ? 180.
Is that too high? Have I been busting my butt all this time, just to burn sugar?
I didn?t know that once your heart rate hits a certain point, and you no longer use oxygen, that you don?t burn fat anymore, just sugar. I though it was good to keep your heart rate up there. Do I need to slow down? My teacher says a slow and steady pace is best, but I?ve read everywhere that HIIT is the best for burning fat. In that case, your heart rate would fluctuate with your intensity. I am confused!
Also, I started doing the Atkin?s diet again ? it?s really hard for me, but it was the only thing that gave me results. It?s been 2 weeks, and I actually GAINED 12 LBS?!? I haven?t been entirely perfect; I?ve had a banana, and a non-fat latte here and there; I am so frustrated! I haven?t been gorging myself on food, or eating large amounts of fat. Any suggestions as to what the heck I?m doing wrong?
Typical Day ?
Breakfast ? 2 eggs with Sausage
Lunch ? Lettuce Wraps
Dinner ? Lean Protein / Vegetables / Steak, etc?.
Occasional glass of Sauv Wine - - BUT ONLY HAS 2.3G OF CARBS!

Mostly I?m concerned about the heart-rate issue. I don?t want to be wasting my time in the gym. Seems like as hard as I work, I should have lost something by now.

Thank you all for your suggestions and support!
Carlie