Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

TARGET HEART RATE AND B/P MEDS

LOEYRN
LOEYRN
United States
2009/03/31, 11:40 AM
Hey everyone!

I have a problem, and don't know the answer. Up until January 24th of 2008, I was an active woman. I worked, and maintained a busy life. I bought a treadmill January 2008. 2 days later, I severely broke my ankle. (I mean broke it so bad that the leg and foot were only attached by skin) I have had 3 surgeries on the dang thing, and am facing the 4th. With 3 plates and 17 screws, walking with a normal pace/gait is not possible. SO - Needless to say, couldn't use the treadmill. So, I sold it and bought a Stamina Elite Total body workout fitness bike. It has pedals and hand pedals to achieve a total body workout.

Here is my problem. Since I broke my ankle, I am in pain 24/7. That has lead to my blood pressure going through the roof. So, I am on 3 different B/P meds to bring it down.

In order to lose weight with exercise, I have been told that I need to get my target heart rate to 140. With the B/P meds - I can't get my heart rate higher than in the 90's.

I have gained so much weight being down over a year now. My hubby (God Bless Him) can't cook. His answer to feeding me has been fast food - sandwiches and the like. I didn't realize how much weight I had gained until I tried on jeans that do not fit anymore....I have been asking for salads etc. of late.

Can someone give me some ideas? Am I able to lose weight exercising and not get my target heart rate up to the 140's? Is the exercise bike a waste of my time? I am so discouraged!

I just want my life back.

Sincerely,

Loey
DanielJLove
DanielJLove
United States
2009/04/23, 09:26 AM
You certainly can still lose weight. If I had to guess you are on a beta blocker which will keep your heart rate low regardless of what you do, don't fret. Just use other signs to determine if you are getting a good workout. Are you breaking a sweat? Can you still speak while you are working out? Do you feel like you had a good workout? You should be able to continue to speak comfortably during the workout, you should break a sweat, and you should feel like you had a good workout when it is done. However, I also encourage you to talk to your physician, because if your blood pressure is high enough for three HTN meds, he may have more stringent parameters for you workout to keep you safe.

Daniel Love
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/04/24, 11:11 AM
Ask your doctor about weight trsining. This will break down muscle tissue and you will have to eat healthy foods to repair the tissue. Eventually you will be replacing fatty tissue with nice muscle. The key here is to eat healthy to rebuild cells and give you fuel for the next work out.
I am sure you will be able to accomplish positive results.
Good Luck!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)