Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Syatic Nerve

bore
bore
United States
2001/03/24, 03:29 AM
The other day, i ran amile did a full ab workout, and then stretched for a half hour. I went home feeling good, then about an hout later my back started hurting. Two hours later my legs were numb and i was on the floor in pain. I went to the hospital, and they said i have a bulged disc, and it's pushing on my syatic nerve. I have never had anything hurt that bad before. i am now going to a sports therapist and am feeling some what better, but not normal yet.
Is there anyone out there who has ever had this happen, and knows the best way to get rid of it?

Rob
sunnyjack
sunnyjack
United States
2001/03/24, 02:59 PM
Sorry to hear about this - unfortunaltely it takes time to recover from this kind of problem. make sure you get plenty of rest (I know body builders hate to hear that).
xavier
xavier
United States
2001/03/25, 10:40 PM
3 of my disks were moved outa place and it was cause sweeling to the muscles and hurt my lower back but that was lie 2 years ago i went to a chiropractor for like 2 months and he fixed it it hurt me when i ran to
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/01, 04:03 AM
Ouch! Man, I can relate to what you're feeling. I went through the syatic pinch for years. I finally blew up on me but good back in 97. Cost me almost a month of wheelchair and 2 weeks in the hospital. I had to have surgery (partial disk removal) which cost me nearly 2 years of down time gym wise. But I've been back at it again for some time now and I'm making good progress with very little pain so if you are in a bad way with this there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/01, 04:17 AM
As far as the best way to get rid of it goes do what your Dr. and therapist tell you. Is this the very first time you've had bad back pain? You should avoid movements that cause alot of stress on you're lower back. Focus on prevention of further episodes. You might want to consider a tread mill or even recumbent stationary cycle as opposed to running for awhile. I was told by doctors that once you suffer this kind of injury you need to be careful forever afterwards because the area may always be susptable to further injury. Troy Aikmin and a line backer from some other team had the same surgery I did but I only slowed them down for awhile. Same with me.
sandman1202
sandman1202
United States
2001/07/03, 01:03 AM
The best way is stretching. Your syatic nerve originates in the anterior area of your upper thigh and connects to the lower vertebrae in your back. It is the muscle that lifts your thigh perpendicular or higher to the ground. This muscle goes neglected all the time when people run. The best stretch, which I'm sure your physical therapist showed you, is to simply sit on the edge of a table (a bed is to soft and will not have the same affect)with both legs dangling. Now grab one leg and bring the patella (knee) to your chest. As you hug the one leg lean back and let gravity pull the other one down bending it back. This is a passive stretching technique that has been very affective in my success as a body builder. Do this stretch before and after sleeping, since most have tendency to curl up during rest periods. This cramps the muscle and allows it to torque or tense up over night. To prevent this lye on your back with 2 pillows under your knees. Try these simple techniques and let me know how it works. p.s. ask your therapist about stretching your periformas, as this is the antagonistic muscle to the iliasoas, which could also give you a pinching nerve.