Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Suggestions on workout routine

kimic
kimic
United States
2003/01/03, 08:55 PM
Hello!

I'm 5'7, 243lbs and tired of it!!! I'm very embarrassed about my weight, so I know that a gym membership would do me no good at this point, so I have bought a TotalGym (which I love, it is so much fun!) and Santa brought me a Treadmill for Christmas.

I also have a yearly subscription to Totalgymworkout.com which based on my fitness lvl gives me daily workouts.

I would really like your opinion on my workout routine. I'm a stay at home mom with a 2 year old, luckily she joins in on most of what I do. I'd like to maximize what I do, and I would love suggestions on any improvements you see I could make:

Monday-Friday: I do AM Yoga tape in the morning (about 15 mins long), around noon (when daughter naps) I do my Totalgymworkout.com which is about 45 mins of weight resistance. At around 6pm when hubby gets home from work, I do about 15 mins on the treadmill. And finally before bed around midnight I do PM Yoga tape (about 20 mins long of light stretching and breathing exercises)

The weekends I havent' been doing anything, and I don't think that's very good because come Monday my workout kills me.

I'm also having trouble right now because of my weight on the treadmill. If I do a fast walk for 30 mins I can't function the next day and miss all my workouts, so I've limited my cardio for 15 mins until I get fitter.

Why are days off important? Should i have a day off during the week instead of 2 days on the weekend?

I know I can get this weight off and get fit, there is no doubt in my mind. I've been vegan for 7 years, but I gained 80lbs during pregnancy and never got my butt moving to work it off. I have about 110lbs to loose, its alot, but we all start somewhere!

A question about soreness.. should I work the muscles that are sore or work on other muscles?

Also, one last thing, I've been smoke free for 31 months. I notice during my workouts that I start to yawn. Have my lungs not healed enough and I'm having problem using oxygen or am I just not breathing correctly?

Thanks for any input, and I will get fit and healthy once again!!! I should take a "before" picture now, so next year I can see how far I've come!!!
Sempai
Sempai
Canada
2003/01/03, 10:57 PM
Well kimic you sure have a positive outlook which is great. You questioned your rest period perhaps if you break your workout up a little to have one day off twice instead of 2 days once, this may improve your stiffness/soreness. Dont work the same muscle each time you work out mix it up work arms one day, chest/back one day, legs and so on. like that insteaad of arms monday and Tuesday type work out you need time to allow your muscles to heal and grow. As far as the yawning goes I asked the same question myself about 5 months ago and I believe you are ok just not breathing quit right it takes practice and is perfectly normal to yawn during workouts. I hope I have been of help to you.

--------------
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember the ark was built by amateurs, The Titanic was built by professionals.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/04, 12:42 AM
Just to add what Sempai suggested, If you are just starting out on the cardio, I would do 10 min before the weights and 15 min after the weights. Don't forget to monitor your heart rate during the cardio. If you break up your weight training to mon-wed- fri like Sempai says this will be a great benefit because the muscles you worked on mon will be rested and recovered. The soreness usually will be gone within 48hrs. Eat lots of good protien.
For the yawning during your workouts, I would suggest you start taking a good daily multivitamin. I used to yawn also and since I started with the vitamins, no more yawns.
Oh yes, and DO take a b4 pic now then look in 12 weeks, wowee you will be amazed. Congrats on the smoking.
Good Luck.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
fiza123
fiza123
India
2009/05/22, 05:16 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
fiza123
fiza123
India
2009/05/22, 05:18 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.