Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Stretching

kellyolson
kellyolson
United States
2001/03/13, 12:41 PM
I don't know what the muscle is called but what's a good exercise to stretch the thigh? I did squats and my legs are killing me!
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/03/14, 06:47 AM
The quadriceps are the large muscles in the front of the thigh and with squats they're what gets the most work. One simple stretch is to stand on one leg, grab the foot of the other leg behind you, while bending at the knee and try to touch your butt with the bottom of the foot. The hamstrings are the ones in the back of your thigh. Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you and touch your toes with your hands. Try to hold a good strech about 20 seconds and don't bounce the muscle. Thats a start but I suggest you find a good book on the subject or someone who knows to show you. A book with yoga positions should have alot of great streches in it.
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/03/14, 06:56 AM
By the way it's generally a good idea to strech eac muscle between sets as you're working out. Some say it may reduce soreness plus strecthing allows more blood flow into the muscle which provides more nutrients for growth and repair of the muscle.
bore
bore
United States
2001/03/15, 04:00 AM
Stand on one leg, grab the other legs anlke, and pull it up to your butt. YOU WILL FEEL THE STRETCH. You should do this before and after squats to keep them from tightening up to much.

Rob
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2001/03/16, 08:48 PM
You must also remember that when you do squats, you're also working your hamstrings and glutes (if you go low enough). So stretch those too by keeping your legs straight and trying to (or actually doing it) touch your toes. You should also stretch the inner part of the thighs, which you can do by spreading your legs as if you were going to do the splits sideways. The upper part (close to the hip) of the thig is done by doing a stretch which looks similar to a lunge, except a longer lunge, and stretching the upper part of the back leg.

Squats train pretty much the entire part of your thigh, not just the quadriceps.

Adrian
Gaurang
Gaurang
India
2001/04/02, 05:02 AM
I Thing You Workout Before Streching That is the Reason maybe your Quads are killing you.
I Would recommend you to do atleast 5 to 10 minutes of streching before you start your workout thats what i do before i workout.
That would involve Forward Bends, Hamstring Steches which require you to extend your leg onto something high and then try and touch your toes,
Lunges, for the inner thighes you should sit on the floor hold your feet together and then push your kness towards the floor and make sure you feel the strech and not over strech,
ByE
bore
bore
United States
2001/04/06, 07:35 AM
Your quad? Stand up and put the top of your foot on a table thats about waist high. It stretches it very well.

Rob
Uttiya
Uttiya
India
2001/05/05, 01:00 PM
Stretching r not for pain relief......now pain is not bad.....matter of fact...'NO PAIN, NO GAIN'......but if it is a pull or a cramp then I suggest you see a doc or your trainer and also look up the injury section in ft
bye --- uttiya
jjcochran3
jjcochran3
United States
2009/06/30, 02:04 PM
i need a list of streches before i exercise.
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/07/27, 01:57 PM
JJ,

I've not been a member on here very long so I'm not sure what the guys on here normally recommend but I was always taught to not stretch too much BEFORE exercise, particularly not static stretches before power exercises such as weight lifting. Stretching the muscle can take some of the power out of it and can actually lead to an increased likelihood of injury.
As I say, the guys on here may shoot me down on that but I always save my stretching for after the workout/exercise and simply warm up if necessary beforehand by practising any weights movement with no weights - you look silly but it also helps focus your mind on the movements necessary!

As for stretching afterwards, a quick Google search will produce results on a stretch for almost any muscle you choose!

============
Quoting from jjcochran3:

i need a list of streches before i exercise.
=============