Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Strength Training

rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/02/15, 11:21 PM
I just read this article on a weight-lifting technique called "super-slow training." Anyone hear or used it? The technique is supposed to increase strength faster (at least according to some studies done).

Anyway, the technique employs super-slow compound movements (about 14 seconds to lift and lower a weight), instead of the normal 7-second rep. The idea behind this is that by putting more time into the actual lifting, the muscles are forced to work so hard that the lowering phase is almost treated as a rest period.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/02/16, 12:07 PM
when it comes to training for strength, there are several different cycles of training that the lifter goes through, and depending on which one he's in depends on the way he's lifting. generally, if the lifter is doing slow negatives (the lowering of the weight), its mainly for the purpose of developing control over the weight. however, when the time comes for the actual "lift," the lifter explodes with power, greatly accelerating the weight up. in all of the cylces, it's very important not to forget the speed and power needed for the lift. for example, if you were going to jump from the floor to a table, would you attempt it in slow motion? of course not; you must do it quickly and with explosive power in order to get to the table top.

hope that helps.........michael
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/02/16, 07:02 PM
Ahh...this is true when it comes to powerlifting as you are always trying to lift the maximum weight you can. And, the slower you try to lift this weight, the harder it becomes. This is the theory behind this slow-training concept.

Think of this: instead of lifting with exploding power, try a slow, more controlled approach...doubling the amount of time it takes to lift the weight. Of course, the weight cannot be the maximum you can lift, but about 10-15% lighter than your max. Theoretically speaking, won't the muscles get taxed just as much or even more?

Anyway, just a thought for those out there who may want to try something a little different...?
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/02/16, 09:33 PM
no, u are correct, rob. thats why i mentioned the cycles of training: there was a period where i focused on slow negs and positives. one never trains for his max constantly. before a competition, i would prob go through about 4 different stages of training, only focusing on the max once. what ur talking about is definitely worth trying!

good luck............michael