Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Stiff lower back

urmaniac13
urmaniac13
Italy
2007/04/25, 07:49 PM
I am not exactly sure whether what I have is the commonly issued "lower back pain". Although it is not incapacitating, it has annoyed me for as much as I can remember, I wonder if anyone can relate.
The sensation is not quite anything that associate with any sort of "pain", it is more like a nagging stiffness and limpness all at the same time.
Morning is the worst, even when I am wide awake I have a hard time getting up because my lower back feels exausted and doesn't want to support anything in an upright position.
Motion of bending over is extremely unpleasant for me, not that it causes any pain but it feels unnatural and uncomfortable, even though I am quite nimble in other ways, I could never even touch my toes unless I bend my knee.
I have been always like this, and it doesn't interfere with my physical activity, actually the back feels better when/after exercising.
Does anyone have any idea what sort of condition it is, and/or suggestions to alleviate the problem??
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/04/26, 12:41 PM
Biggest culprit is usually tight hamstrings. To take the back out, sit on the floor or edge of chair. Put your fists behind your buttocs and lock your elbows to keep your back straight when you lean forward and keep your head up. You should feel the stretch behind your knees and hamstrings. Hold a 10-count and repeat 3-5 times. Doing this every couple hours will go a lot farther than stretching a longer periood once a day. It will take 6-9 weeks before you make it permanent. Good luck!
urmaniac13
urmaniac13
Italy
2007/04/27, 09:50 AM
Thanks k! I shall give it a try!!:)
stevehwms
stevehwms
United States
2007/05/20, 09:24 AM
I started having lower back pain when I sleep on my stomach. If I end up sleeping on my stomach, halfway through the night, I wake up and have to sleep on one side or the other. If I roll on my stomach after that, my lower back is too sore to remain in that position. :surprised: Any suggestions? I think is may have been caused my not being able to use my arms and upper body when rolling over or getting up after I had open heart surgery in Dec, but it is still with me.
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/20, 12:26 PM
If you sleep on your side, put a pillow between your knees. My chiropractor told me you should NEVER sleep on your stomach as it puts immense pressure on yuor lower back. When I sleep on my back I use the pillow under the bends in my knees. It's made a huge difference for me. At first it felt awkward, but now it is a habit.
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/05/21, 09:32 AM
Also I used to have a problem found out my mattress sucked, got one of those tempurpedic ones and WAAALAAA no more pain and wow the actual difference is awesome
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/05/23, 03:50 PM
Thinking about this a bit, if you continue to have significant stiffness despite stretching out, it might be worthwhile to go to a physician and get an x-ray.

Some of your symptoms resemble a condition called ankylosing spondilitis, where the spine fuses together resulting in deformity. It usually manifests itself initially as significant stiffness int he morning.

I'm not trying to frighten you but usually bloodwork and an x-ray can rule this out. Though incurable, it is better to treat early rather than later.

Best wishes!
stevehwms
stevehwms
United States
2007/05/24, 08:40 PM
Thanks k-ok. Between being twisted like a pretzel during surgery, and not being able to use my upper body to get out of bed or roll over at night for 6 weeks, I think its muscular. As soon as I take a hot shower, it is gone. I have had enough xrays and bloodwork for a lifetime over the past 6 months, and to be honest, and an through being a patient for a while. If i am still having problems in a few months, I might check into ankylosing spondilitis. Thanks again for letting me know about it.
stevehwms
stevehwms
United States
2007/05/24, 08:43 PM
I just realized that you were probably talking to the guy who posted the original question. Sorry! Nevermind. Duh...
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/05/25, 12:46 PM
That's quite all right. You might invest in a body pillow to support your top arm and leg. Spouse/significant others don't work as well as they are usually too hot or too cold and they don't appreciate it when you rollover to the other side.:big_smile: