Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Squats...

spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2001/09/04, 05:42 PM
What areas of the legs do different stances/foot positioning work? I ususally keep my feet about shoulder width apart...is this good? Any other advice on squats?

Thanks!
badcav
badcav
United States
2001/09/04, 06:31 PM
There's a lot of ways squats will affect you when changing foot position. I've noticed that certain positions will cause me a lot of knee pain and others won't. I usually go just past shoulder width... with my toes pointed slightly outward. Gives me a reall good equal burn in the hams and the quads!

-Jim
tt_rocker
tt_rocker
Saudi Arabia
2001/09/06, 01:45 PM

keep looking straight ahead avoid telting your head..
lower yourself as if you wanted to set on a chair but not more than that as the emphasis will then be on your hams.

its not easy but very beneficial once you get the hang of it.. I like to use the smith machine with squats because its safer
sfckellyk
sfckellyk
United States
2001/09/17, 11:52 AM
I have noticed that power lifters, folks that are more concerned with the poundage, will generally have a wider stance with toes pointed outward. This creates a more stable base for the heavy weights. Bodybuilders on the other hand, usually have a closer stance (shoulder width or closer)with toes pointed straight ahead. This seems to target the desired muscles better. By keeping your feet straight you can safely get a deeper than parallel squat. Keeping your balance may be difficult, but keep you head and eyes focused on a spot on the wall above head level and you should be fine.
kent
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/09/18, 08:28 PM
I've noticed that a narrow stance makes it more difficult to keep your balance. It does help to keep focused straight ahead. Good advice.

coolness...