Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Sprained Ankle

mindie
mindie
United States
2005/04/27, 04:59 PM
Thanks menace. I am not sure what you mean by RICE...It has now been 10 days since I did this, and I am starting to wonder if I may have actually fractured it or something, as I have a ball about the size of my fist still on one side. I did have an x-ray taken, but it was soooo swollen. I have never broken or sprained anything before, so I am clueless. Also, besides upper body workouts, is there really anything that I can do at this point? I have a really hard time sitting/relaxing, and I am already going a little crazy.
mindie
mindie
United States
2005/04/26, 07:05 PM
Last weekend I sprained my ankle, I think pretty bad. I know it is not broken, but I definitely cannot use it too much. Most of the swelling has gone down, but it is still about 3 times the normal size (literally). Realistically, how long should this take to heal and get back to normal? I did the elevated on ice thing for a couple of days, as I know that helps. Not sure where to go from here. It is starting to warm up, and I would really like a normal looking ankle (and of course, more importantly, one that does not hurt). Any suggestions would be great!
2005/04/26, 07:10 PM
Last bad ankle sprain I had it took about 6 weeks to completely deflate and 3 months to get totally pain free. Keep icing it for 15 minutes a few times a day. That helps swelling no matter how long it's been. Wear slinky tops, that'll reduce attention to your ankles.

--------------
Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!!!!!!

Charlie
mindie
mindie
United States
2005/04/27, 01:37 PM
That is too funny! You definitely crack me up! It tends to ache more when I put ice on it. Is that normal? Regardless, if it speeds up the healing process, it is worth it. Should I keep it wrapped? I have not really wrapped it at all, but have been wearing boots that are really supportive. Not sure if that is sufficient. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!
2005/04/27, 01:59 PM
I think you can use a heating pad to reduce pain but that never made sense to me because if cold reduces swelling then it stands to reason that heat must.... Oh well, its catch 22. We at free trainers appreciate slinky tops so when you can post a picture please do so.

--------------

Charlie
mindie
mindie
United States
2005/04/27, 03:27 PM
It does appear to be conflicting. I am pretty good at dealing with pain, so I think I will just stick to ice. I am not sure how to post a picture. For the most part, I am computer literate, but that one is over my head. If you tell me how, I will get one posted when I get a chance.....
mindie
mindie
United States
2005/04/27, 03:27 PM
It does appear to be conflicting. I am pretty good at dealing with pain, so I think I will just stick to ice. I am not sure how to post a picture. For the most part, I am computer literate, but that one is over my head. If you tell me how, I will get one posted when I get a chance.....
2005/04/27, 03:29 PM
Digital pix ...email it to george@freetrainers.com

--------------

Charlie
mindie
mindie
United States
2005/04/27, 03:48 PM
Thanks. I do not own a digital camera, but will see what I can do to find someone who does.....maybe you will "see" me soon!
2005/04/27, 04:31 PM
After the first 48 hours....start applying heat.....do RICE

apply bengay or tiger balm(menthol, camphor, etc)....massage it gently

try to go for ultrasound therapy....or some other form of therapy.....

also after bad sprains....ankle can remain permanently weaker...so beware....

it can take up to a year to completely heal...
2005/04/27, 07:08 PM
rest, ice, compress, and elevate....

icing should be done mostly the first 48 hours...after that you need to increase blood flow to the injured area by applying heat...

Touch the area...is the pain excruciating? if yes then it's probably borken...

can you move your ankle despite pain? if you can't then it's probably broken...

swelling is a big part of sprains and some sprains heal slower than fractures....

it takes a LONG time for it to heal...on the side of precaution I suggest you go see a doctor...to make sure nothing seriously is wrong....
Estherd
Estherd
United States
2007/07/15, 11:48 AM
I sprained my ankle last week-end for the second time in 4 months. Last time, I was mobile with only modest pain within a week, and almost pain free within 2 weeks. This time around, any amount of walking seems to make things worse. Went to a ball game yesterday with hub and had to walk to and from parking lot and do stairs in stadium. Today, I'm basically finished -- icing and painkillers. So, question 1 is how soon will it be before I can do just basic activities like walking around?

Second, as a post-menopausal female with osteo issues, I have been doing a mile and a half walking program for my fitness, combined with yoga 2-3 times a week (at least one power session) and weights 2 times a week. I "lost ground" with fitness and weight the last time I was injured, and only just regained my former level. Now, I'm back where I was, only even more immobile. In one week, I've already put on 3-4 lbs due to inactivity, even with eating less than when I'm active -- I don't have much appetite. I'm concerned about turning into a blob, losing all muscle tone, etc. My spouse had ankle surgery a few years back and gained 80+ pounds in about 6 months. Short of a starvation diet (and that might not be too hard because at my activity level, I'm not that hungry) what can I do to avoid turning into an obese, unfit person because of my injury?