Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

soreness and exercising

J_Cat
J_Cat
United States
2012/02/09, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone,
On Tuesday I went to the gym and did quite a bit of resistence training (this is my second week of working out). Two days later, today, I am still sore. I was wondering whether it would be okay to go back today and just do some cardio since only some parts of my legs are a little sore, or if I should wait until I'm no longer sore at all.

Thank you!
2012/02/09, 11:23 AM
Soreness is normal. The cure is more working out. Pain is weakness leaving your body.
Welcome to FT and good luck.
J_Cat
J_Cat
United States
2012/02/09, 12:28 PM (Edited: J_Cat - 2012/02/09, 12:32 PM)
I guess what I'm worried about is injuring my muscles that are currently sore with further exercise...is this possible?
2012/02/09, 02:06 PM
Possible but soreness when you first start is normal and again the best cure is to keep going. If the pain is rteally bad and only in one spot you may have an injury that requires rest. I'm basing my answer on the fact that you said "legs" as opposed to say "calf". General soreness is normal. If you want to do light cardio it's fine but as you add weight and change exercises you are going to be sore for a while. You have to judge for yourself. I'm 59. I'm sore all the time but I work through it.
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/09, 05:24 PM
Charlie is right.  If you are new to a targeted exercise program, your muscles are going to hurt.  As long as you are using proper form while doing the exercises, your chances of injuring yourself are pretty low.

Now you know what people mean when they say "Feel the Burn".  You get to where you actually like the feeling.

One thing I can recommend is a decent walk (swing your arms around too) and then a nice long, easy stretch session.  Follow that with a good hot bath or shower, and if you are still in pain, take some anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen.

You may hurt now, but in 3 months, you'll be amazed at how much harder your workouts are, with minimal soreness.