Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Softball

shanemcintosh
shanemcintosh
United States
2003/04/07, 11:31 AM
Hello from Northern Michigan! Even though snow is still on the ground...softball isn't too far away. FYI -- I am beginning my program today and am real anxious to get into it. Are there any specific exercises that would help my softball game (i.e. hitting with more power)? Thanks!!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/04/07, 01:14 PM
Shoulders, triceps, abs, low back, biceps.. everything will help. But ask a trainer at your gym if they have any sports specific experience, otherwise try lifting with the up phase being more explosive to build power and the down phase slower.
Obliques play a role in the twisting load and release when you swing, train them well.
Chest and back will help with the stability and power, too. i guess it really is everything, and don't forget to train you legs so you can run faster from base to base !

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
mallard3
mallard3
United States
2003/09/26, 08:59 AM
ravenwolf is exactly right. Leg and hip strength is key. Upper body stength is a must too, but without the explosion of the legs and hips to turn on the ball you are just another hitter. Science has proved that people with average upper bodies and a strong lower body consistently hit the ball a hell of a lot more powerful than those that don't workout legs. Hitting technique is very important as well. I don't know you or how you hit, but I know most people do not hit mechanically sound every time. Me included. I think Demarini has some hitting techs. that are helpful, or go to Yahoo and type in how to crush a softball. Good Luck.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/10/07, 09:30 AM
Power cleans, squats, squats, and some sort of hamstring work are good for the lower legs. Don't ignore your calves. Stick to reps of 5, 3, and 2 on core(bench,squat, clean) exercises. Bench press, pull-ups, Seated rows, dumbbell incline, triceps extensions of some type. Rotator cuff work is extremely vital. Trunk work is also very important. Sprint conditioning will help with your explosiveness too.