Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Slim Fast Diet? (Long one here)

badcav
badcav
United States
2001/08/28, 04:16 AM
Ok... Don't worry, this will fit the general exercise topic by time I finish.

Background info: I'm in the US Navy (you all know that). In ~3 weeks, I have what we call a PRT... Physical Readiness Test. On the PRT, a guy my age has to do a minimum of 50 sit-ups (no problem), 42 push-ups (again no problem), and run 1.5 miles in 13:15 (problem) I have never failed a PRT, but the last run was close... as in right on the limit. I have had 2 practice PRT's in the last 6 weeks... the first resulted in a 16 minute run (failure) and the last was a DNF because of my cold.
To say the least, I am a tad concerned. I know my problem is a combination of the heat here in Hawaii (I'm just not used to it still... especially when trying to carry my fat arse through 1.5 miles in less than 13:15 in 85degrees and 85% humidity) and my weight (233lbs).
Previously, I had said that I was happy with my weight but not my bodyfat. I'm ammending that statement now... I need to lose some weight.
The concern here is lightening the load I have to carry for that 1.5miles.
Enter the subject line. The commercials of course praise SlimFast, and I have heard a few people at the gym praise it. The question is this: Is it worth it? Can I go onto the proverbial SlimFast diet and safely lose 10-15lbs within 2 to 3 weeks? By safely, I mean can I lose this weight and not lose my strength? If my body can legs can haul 233lbs through 1.5miles in 13:15, then surely it can haul 220 or so pounds through the same distance in less time.
Should I go onto this diet AND continue with my FT program, or is there some other way to get myself to where I can beat that 13minute mark?

-Jim
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/08/28, 07:53 PM
Jim,

I'm no expert on dieting but my wife says you can lose 10 lbs. in three weeks. She says to supplement with lots of fruit (few calories) and lots of water. I use it for supplementing my protein. Multi-vitamin supplement would be wise also. The chocolate tastes great too. Try running on the treadmill in the gym where it is cooler to help lose the weight and also time yourself if possible. Let us know the results!! Lift cool!!

coolness...
theboowahs
theboowahs
United States
2001/08/28, 09:34 PM
Badcav - What you really need to do is pay one of the medics at the finish line to pencil whip that run time!! I think that only worked for me because I was a medic.

Anyway, I would stay away from the slim fast diet. ( see my last entry in the supp. area - it is good with a bad protein shake ) I digress.

#1 ) I think you should stick with a good protein packed diet (chicken, tuna, turkey, etc), and drink lots of water (a gallon a day - carry one around with you - it works). This will help with your energy level - more than a liquid diet would.

#2 ) I forgot how long you have before the next PT test, but running intervals will help. Run for one minute and walk one minute - Run two minutes and then walk one minute - and so on. Before long, both your legs and your lungs will want to go longer!!

#3 ) As long as you don't have any heart problems, I would suggest the use of Xenadrine ( fat burner ). I gives a good dose of wake up and go which is good for your cardio and weight workouts, and it increases your metabolism!!

Good luck!! I know your pain of the PT test. Don't let the bastards get you down!!
theboowahs
theboowahs
United States
2001/08/29, 12:49 AM
Badcav - I was thinking about your question that I never really answered. I would put the FT workout on hold and spend majority of my workout time on interval training. One run in the morning before you eat breakfast so you can burn more fat, and one run in the evening.

Other tid bits of information that may help:

1 - see FT tip of the week for DEC 11-17 2000 on Fat burners.

2 - see Message board - General Exsercise - "I hate to run too!" This describes the interval thing in more detail. It works. I started that (interval training) along with good diet and weight training six weeks ago. I went from 230 to 210 with alot of muscle gain to boot!!
badcav
badcav
United States
2001/08/30, 05:29 PM
"#1 ) I think you should stick with a good protein packed diet (chicken, tuna, turkey, etc), and drink lots of water (a gallon a day - carry one around with you - it works). This will help with your energy level - more than a liquid diet would."

Well... I'm a meat fanatic (I love nothing more than munching on dead animals), so I'd put myself on a modified SlimFast diet... Since I am trying to eat 6 or 7 little meals these days vs. 3 or 4 bigger meals, I'm gonna have 3 or 4 SlimFast shakes, 2 or 3 protein shakes, and the rest of my meals will be Tuna or chicken or lean beef.

"#2 ) I forgot how long you have before the next PT test, but running intervals will help. Run for one minute and walk one minute - Run two minutes and then walk one minute - and so on. Before long, both your legs and your lungs will want to go longer!!"

A little under 3 weeks. I've been hitting the treadmill fo 10 minutes at a shot. With a 3 minute cooldown on top of that, I try to set a pace during the actual workout such that at the end of the whole 13 minutes I have done 1.5 miles. I'm up to 1.24miles right now. I'll try the interval thing though.

-Jim
badcav
badcav
United States
2001/08/30, 05:19 PM
"I'm no expert on dieting but my wife says you can lose 10 lbs. in three weeks. She says to supplement with lots of fruit (few calories) and lots of water."

Great... looks like I'm grabbing some up this payday! I have GOT to pass this PRT. My upward mobility within the Navy is HIGHLY dependent on it!

"Try running on the treadmill in the gym where it is cooler to help lose the weight and also time yourself if possible."

The funny thing is... it's no cooler in the gyms around here than it is outside. In fact... I dare say it is hotter in one of the gyms, simply because there's not much circulation so some of the air stagnates!

-Jim