Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder injury still bothers me

Maigs
Maigs
South Africa
2005/05/28, 07:38 AM
I fractured my upper arm about 3 years ago and it was badly treated at the time. Now I still get a lot of pain and stiffness, especially when I swim anything except breaststroke. Am trying to get fit again, but this is getting in my way. Any suggestions for things to avoid or try? Doctors have said that I have some calcification around the shoulder joint, but have few suggestions for how to improve it.
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2005/05/29, 02:08 AM
look at fitbuddy for shoulder workouts and shoulder problems i myself have horrible shoulders but also work as a lifeguard for the past 8 years and know exactly what you are talking about since i work alot with time trials and tryin to make time with the breast stroke just because it hurts alot less was quite difficult so i'd say start with that and if that doesnt help check out a orthopedic surgeon i recently went to one who specialized in joints and shoulders and he gave some meds (naproxen/naprosen) to relieve swelling when working out my shoulders on off days and i see go to a chiropractor (cant spell well sorry) and he's done some work for my that makes it alot easier to do day to day things, hope that helps if not lemme know and i'll try to look up some more stuff for ya

--------------
Jonathan
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
2005/05/29, 05:18 AM
First off go to doctor and get an x-ray to make sure the bones fused properly....

rehab is a slow and gruelling process...take it slow...using light weights
Maigs
Maigs
South Africa
2005/05/30, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys :) Have found some light shoulder workouts and will try them out. Probably need to go back to orthopaedic surgeon, but have been putting it off as I hate doctors!
dvelswk
dvelswk
United States
2005/05/31, 06:59 AM
How do you not like going to the Dr.? It's so awesome, you wait in a little room for 3 hours, then you wait in a smaller waiting room for an hour, then you see the doctor for 2 seconds and pay 1000 dollars. Just kidding, it's not that bad. Yes go get an X Ray, if everything's fine there go to an orthopaedic surgeon, and possibly try physical therapy (or ask the surgeon if it would help).
Maigs
Maigs
South Africa
2005/05/31, 11:25 AM
Yes. Doctors are so fun. They prod you and poke you and tell you to take your clothes off when it's cold. Then say things like, well, you look fine to me. Are you sure you're not just stressed? And you think, well, if I didn't have to be prodded, poked and cold, I probably wouldn't be stressed.

Ok, joking. But I still don't enjoy it! Will get up the guts to do it though.