Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

shift workers distress

oldschool
oldschool
United States
2005/01/17, 12:33 PM
Hello, I have been working on shift for like 3 years. It seems to be tearing my body away. I'm trying to start eating 5-6 small meals a day and work on getting back into a good overall shape. Would that be wise if I'm not eatting and sleeping at near to constant times?
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/01/18, 06:37 AM
is it alternating shifts you do?

It's still possible to eat well and get in shape, it's just a little bit harder work than if you're in a regular routine. I have been doing shift work for about 6 months and I maybe rely slightly more on things like protein bars than I would like but I can still do it.

I'm not quite sure of the question - do you mean would it be wise to try to get in to shape if you're not eating and sleeping at constant times?
If so, then of course! It is always wise to be healthy and get in shape!

good luck and welcome to FT

--------------
herd mentality.
oldschool
oldschool
United States
2005/01/18, 10:20 AM
well i'm working normally a 3-3 12 hour shifts rotating from mids to days or days to mids not including military pt. So I work like 16 hours a day. Seems much hard to get up and out go to the gym. Like you said it can be done just got to go out there a focus.
oldschool
oldschool
United States
2005/01/18, 10:20 AM
well i'm working normally a 3-3 12 hour shifts rotating from mids to days or days to mids not including military pt. So I work like 16 hours a day. Seems much hard to get up and out go to the gym. Like you said it can be done just got to go out there a focus.
bowhunter23
bowhunter23
United States
2008/02/03, 09:01 AM
I work rotating shifts. I am starting this while I begin my month on days (0700-1700) any suggestions for when the nights and then midnights begin to stay on track?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/04, 08:33 AM
I think th emost important thing is to eat every three hours, get enough rest and lift when you have the most energy. i have a client who works and odd shift and she gets done with work, goes home and sleeps a bit, then comes and trains in the middle of tha day ( so it is like her morning, kind of) then she does her runing errands and goes to sleep and work again.

The hardest part for her is the days she is off because then she tries to operate on the real world's schedule and it screws up her sleep/meal schedule.

i think if you work odd shifts you have to stay with that sleep schedule on your off days, too. Unfortunately it doesn't jibe with the rest of ythe world, but you will feel better if you stick to it.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle