Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Sticky Secret to weight loss

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
bigjockhill
bigjockhill
United Kingdom
2009/08/05, 08:35 PM
Veda, i am fairly new to f/t and have just read your post from 2005 and then the updated post from 2007, excellent words and very motivational, it's all about getting things in perspective and whither you want to take control of your life or want to hide from the truth, good on you for speaking up.
gjm28
gjm28
United States
2009/09/25, 01:38 PM
ok well where do i start i am just starting to go to the gym and start choosing to eat healthy i'm heavier than most people i've noticed on here i'm 305 lbs seems like a far strecth from the 150 i weighed in high school...BUT ANYWAYS i would like some feedback please any advice i'm having trouble because i'm addicted to cigarettes and food and i know all i'm doing is killing myself i need some support advice and so forth
thanks

--------------
LOOKINGFORHOPE.......
sezz
sezz
United Kingdom
2009/12/08, 11:45 AM
thanks for this post im just staring out on my journey and found that alot of what u said is true and hence im still the way i am so everytime i feel im slipping im going read this and remember what im trying to achieve and healthy body and a realistic role model for my child :D thankyou
shetaz01
shetaz01
United States
2010/03/18, 08:45 PM
im new to this but im intrested in what everyone has to say Im a mother of 3 and work a demanding job in a resturaunt for atleast 50 to 60 hours a week how can i make time for exercise when im always tired, but because i need to loose weight is why i am always tired
Envied
Envied
United States
2010/04/11, 07:58 PM
Thank you. This is everything that I have told myself, and need to hear daily! I should read this EVERY DAY! :love:
gimbly
gimbly
United States
2010/06/29, 11:40 AM

Check this site that has helped so many people find the strength needed to improve their life by improving their health! http://healthsolution.webs.com/
katehopes
katehopes
United States
2011/06/16, 01:02 PM
I just joined this site and reading this post made it absolutely worth it already. I am a yo-yo'er and am excellent at making excuses, but I know that every time I am tempted to give into an unhealthy binge I will read this, and it will remind me about the important thing: I want to be committed to this, and my body will thank me for putting the box of cookies down :) Definitely an addiction, and as with the other ones I've already kicked (thank goodness!) I know I have the willpower to just say no.
moanaphillips
moanaphillips
New Zealand
2011/07/18, 09:08 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH VEDA!!!! you are the most inspirational and motivational person that i have come across in awhile. I love all your posts and its a straight up truth that i had to ask myself. Everything that you said those posts are me all over and by the looks of things i wasnt the only one.

I have always been the big kid from primary school through high school and eventually lost but after my two children put it all back on and some more. So i have always been on the battle to weight loss but what i have discovered is that i need to love myself, who i am and what i look like now and RESPECT the person that i am now before i can move on..... and your post just helped me with that...it gave me the BIGGEST REALITY CHECK that i needed... i need to stop kidding myself and stop BSin myself and get through a day without cheatin myself...and that day starts today...as i was reading your post i was eating a snickers bar and i got through half of it and through it in the bin.....it DISGUSTED myself that i didnt need that bar its just been a habit since being a teenager to eat things that are no good for me, filling my body with unwanted BS that does nothing for my health or my complexion... You are amazing and everyone on this site is for taking that step to losing weight....its a battle but it doesnt have to be...Food is supposed to be just an energy source, and realised that i take that for granted and eat more than i should....not no more i love life and life loves me!!!!
It all starts with ME and i thank this site for letting me open up about my situation and how i feel.....

I am a strong beautiful lady that will do anything when i put my mind to it.

committed and ready for this challenge.
jackie081184
jackie081184
United States
2011/10/05, 03:32 PM
:love: Veda Amazing post. Today is my first day with FT and im excited to get into a routine with my worksouts and health. I did it for a while, made great progress, and ruined it by cheatuing myself.. Im back in action now and determined to get not only fit but healthy too.

--------------
.:. Jackie .:.
lilbit1958
lilbit1958
United States
2012/01/07, 03:06 PM
Very well said and because of some health issues that I have I am making thoses changes. Just like you Veda I have no thryoids so it is slow but it is coming off. But thanks for the post.
Tasi988
Tasi988
Australia
2012/01/19, 04:43 AM
Love this!! was just what i needed as i was searchintg for something to help me set myself up mentally so that i can have some self discipline with my diet....Ive put on 12kgs in  4weeks--- am so ready to work this off. Thank you - if this message will stick with me and help motivate me im sure many many others will feel the exact same way!!  Hope your health gets better!! xx
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/01/19, 01:05 PM
OK, but what about when you are committed, you're doing the diet, making yourself miserable because you're starving half the time, and when you're eating, you're not enjoying what you eat, you're killing yourself at the gym, and have been doing all this for weeks, and you're STILL THE SAME WEIGHT??

If the diet and exercise don't take off the weight, why go to all the effort to keep a calorie log, an exercise log, and fight the depression that comes with a huge drop in quality of life?
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/01/28, 06:28 PM (Edited: kolhy - 2012/01/28, 07:23 PM)
I can not believe I'm about to quote an model!!!

Ava Cowan said it best:
"Just do it a little bit longer...."

Good point though. Rarely do we find one answer to a solution or one cause of a problem- nothing in life is that simple. Commitment is a factor for many- but not all.

I'd challenge you to see this in a different way. It is possible Hearldstorm :)
It is possible to enjoy going to the gym. It is possible to enjoy eating healthy and growing a true aversion to the garbage (lets be frank!) that our culture feeds on.

If you're eating healthy - don't you feel good about doing something REALLY GREAT for yourself? If you're going to the gym - you're taking action - doesn't that feel good? You're actually taking the steps towards your goal- that's awesome! Don't you feel any change in your energy levels? Don't you see that your exercise logs show an improvement in strength and cardio? Can't you see ANY benefits? You don't? Then my answer to you is.... just do it a little bit longer.

I can't leave this post without adding I DO NOT advocate the calorie game. It's not sustainable... and yes, it sucks the quality right out of your life. To me...food is love (I'm italian!) and to deny yourself food is to deny yourself love. Go hungry to look good for OTHER people? Sorry! No thanks! I WILL, however, make any and all the necessary adjustments to improve the quality of my life - this means putting an effort into eating right (not going hungry!). Focus on this rather than just weight loss. Weight loss will come...but try to change your list of priorities.

No.... commitment is not always the reason. We all start off committed don't we? Perseverance is the other ingredient in the recipe. This is what separates people. This is the magic many are missing.

I've seen some of your other posts - you're well educated and understand that this path is long. Will you not try to see this process in another way?? You'll be on it for a long time (if not forever) so you might as well change your outlook on it now.

Good luck Heraldstorm. I'll be keeping an eye out for you, I have a feeling you'll be just fine :)

ps I hated veggies and legumes until I ate so much of it that I finally gained an appreciation for it. Love them yum! And... you know you can hunt up delicious recipes on just about anything!!
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/01/29, 04:26 AM
Hi Ioris!  Thanks for taking the time to write such an honest and heartfelt message.  It does mean a lot that someone understands where I've been and cares enough to help support me in succeeding.  This is my own honest and heartfelt message in response to Ioris, but mostly to people that might need it.  What I'm going to say may not be pleasant, but it might just also help you out.

Ioris asked if I couldn't see any benefits at all to starting a program of change.  Well, honestly, It isn't all bad, but it isn't all great.  Sounds just like life itself, doesn't it?  This is the third time I've tried a diet and exercise regimen.  I'm at the point now where I simply don't care if I'm starving.  I don't care if I'm hating it.  Losing the weight and getting in shape means more to me than being fulfilled or happy.  Quality of life is just an excuse I use to avoid buckling down and taking care of business.  It sounds depressing, yes, but at least I'll be able to fit in my clothes and not look like a slob anymore.

I'll be able to look in the mirror and not cringe.  I know looks can be superficial and it's what's inside that matters, but I have to get up and look at myself everyday, and I have to see what normally hides behind baggy clothes!  The whole unpleasant reality is there in the mirror, every day, and it won't get any better unless I change.  Plus, I'll be able to keep up with my 1 year old son, and that means a LOT to me.  I won't huff and puff walking up the hills and stairs at work.  I won't have to endure the (well intended) jokes from my friends about being pregnant.  There are so many things that I'd just given up on because I am a big guy, and I'm finding out that they weren't all that much fun to put up with.  These are things that do more damage in deeper places than my stomach.  These are things that cause me to hang my head, hunch my shoulders, and try and fade into the background rather than standing up tall and proud with my head up and my shoulders back.

I wrote the post Ioris responded to and it really was where I was at the time.  I had been doing everything I was supposed to and it just wasn't working.  I read books and articles and forums about exercising, dieting, psychology, and while I had the information, nothing was working.  It was frustrating and depressing, and I had no hope at all.  Fortunately, because I just didn't care anymore, I kept going.  I kept doing the diet.  I mercilessly forced myself to eat half of what I used to, and to muscle through the brussel sprouts with no butter, and the brown rice instead of white rice with curry and coconut milk.  Through sheer mean spirited willpower alone, I pushed my legs through miles of walking and hours of weight training.  A week later, I was still hating the diet (I may never enjoy food quite like I did, but life is sacrifice), but something happened.  I came home from a work out and I couldn't sit still.  I had so much damn energy, I had to clean the house.  It was both bizarre and exciting at the same time.

The first two times I'd tried to get on an exercise kick, I never felt a boost in energy.  I saw fitness improvement in the distance I could go or the weight I could lift, but I never felt it in my body.  This time, I feel it!  This time I am starting to have a desire to go do my cardio routine.  This time I can feel my legs getting stronger.  Then, very, very slowly, I saw the numbers on the scale start to drop.  That was a rough time too, because I wanted to tighten down even further, and that could have caused health problems and done damage that would set me back, possibly even bump me off the whole wagon entirely.  But, through reading the articles available here on FreeTrainers and many others, I forced myself to lighten up a bit.  I found that even if I had a poor workout, that just by going and working out for the required time, it was enough to maintain if not take off the weight.  At least I didn't lose ground.  Once I got over that hump, and it was a significant hump, both physical and emotional, The snowball started to roll downhill.

Now, I'm finally starting to get a feel for how much I need to eat (or starve) if I want the weight to come off.  Ioris is right, limiting calorie intake is not sustainable in itself.  It is a tool to get the weight to come off, but only a change in lifestyle will keep the weight off.  We have to learn our limits.  We have to learn how much we have to exercise to balance what we eat.  We have to learn what we can eat and can't eat  That is sustainable.  I'm still eating healthy, real food as often as possible.  I can feel my body complain if I miss a workout, and it bothers me so much that I'll stay up late just to catch up.

My advice to anyone out there that is considering a change: you must sit down and prepare yourself.  This is not going to be quick, nor will it be painless.  It will not be temporary.  You can't tell yourself, OK I'll do this for a few months and then I can go back to the old ways.  This is not just a physical change.  It's a mental and emotional change as well.  

Build your goal in your head as big and real as you can, first.  You have to really focus and construct your goal.  You need to plan rewards for yourself (productive ones) that really are appealing enough to get you moving.  You need to sit for hours and see yourself in a new wardrobe, in a new physique.  Imagine the activites you'll be doing that you can't do now.  You need to feel deep down both the reasons you want to do this, and the people you are doing this for.  The more real you can make this goal, the bigger you can make it, the larger a part of your life that this goal becomes for you, the better.

You have to be terribly strong.  You have to be relentless.  It does get easier, but it gets much much harder before it gets easier.  Use the support channels available to you.  Distract yourself, and change your habits.  If you'd sit and watch tv while eating a bag of chips, instead go in a different room, put on some head phones and read a book.  Even better, go for a nice slow walk with a loved one that knows you're hurting and in need of some support.

Realize, too, that not every body is the same.  Not every body will respond the same way to the diet and the program.  Some pick it up right away.  Others take weeks or more.  Some respond to portion limiting.  Some respond to an increase in calorie burning.  Some can't do much exercise and have to focus on diet first.  Experiment, but give it time to work.  If nothing seems to work, seek a nutrionist or a dieting professional.  Whatever you do DO NOT GIVE UP.  Don't do it.  Don't let yourself lapse into the old you.  Habits are convenient and easy to keep, but nothing brings adventure and excitement like a big change.

And that change is very exciting.  The emotional strength you gain in proving to yourself that it is really within your power and abilities to change yourself is indescribable.  The confidence you get even when you know you're still overweight, but that you're not as overweight as you were two weeks ago is amazing.  I sleep better now!  So much so that I notice it!  You'll live a longer happier life, and who would ever turn down more time to spend laughing and enjoying the company of good friends and family?  You'll like the way you look and you'll feel good about yourself as a person, and surely those things are more valuable to you than another helping of cheesy mashed potatoes...another hour watching an episode of MASH that you've already seen 5 times...

It's very hard to do, and it takes tremendous dedication and willpower, but YOU CAN DO IT.  And in the end, it will be worth it!

Thank you, Ioris, for your help and support!  Thank you FreeTrainers, for the resources that make such amazing changes possible!

Good luck, and thanks for reading.
-Herald
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/02/04, 08:16 PM
Herald!

What a great post! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading this!
I find it a shame that your post is buried at the back of this thread. It would be so helpful to so many people on here. I will direct them here :)

Yes! It is difficult! We are simply not accustomed to hard work with no instant pay offs.
Grinding day in and day out for benefits not be realized until many months later is such a foreign concept to many of us. Us...that have been born and raised in such a culture of instant gratification.

Keep this up Herald!  I want to hear all about your progress.
blondeiangel
blondeiangel
United States
2012/02/04, 10:06 PM
WOW i'm so inspired and yes i have been wanting to do what i'm doing now for a few years and i'm only 18 but couldn't ever work up enough energy to do this and now that i am i feel so much better and like i was telling ioris i'm eating more fruits an veggies now and drinking A LOT more water and exercising more cause i have to get healthier..i am DETERMINED to do it this year..i'm an artist, i currently go to Nossi College of Art for my bachelors degree in commercial illustration so i do a lot of sitting and sitting at a desk workin in Adobe illustrator and things like that and of course A LOT of time sitting (yet again) and drawing (but i plan on getting a easel and start drawing standing up if i'm comfortable with drawing like that). but like Herald i suddenly had a burst of energy one day and just started working out (i have the Wii Fit Plus and it's really fun and it works) and i am determined and commited to change my lifestyle for the better and eat healthier and exercise more and this is my third day of doing just that and i've already somehow lost 2 pounds and i was so happy when i saw that :D and i'm determined to push through the lazy moments i have and keep doing as i've been doing cause i want to be more energetic and actually WANT to exercise or go do things instead of just sitting at home all the time or just sitting and doing nothing
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/02/05, 12:28 AM
Hi angel,
   Great to hear you're excited about this!  I (vaguely) remember being 18, and I remember I felt pretty invincible.  I'd stress caution at dieting and exercising so hard that you lose 2 pounds in 3 days.  You're supposed to work your diet and exercise out so that you lose 2 pounds over 7 days...you did it in less than half that time.  It probably isn't such a big concern if your body can reach to fat cells to replace the carbs and burn the energy, but if you keep going at this pace, you're going to start to feel very tired, and your body runs the risk of metabolizing your muscles...you really really don't want to go there!

You mentioned a goal of looking great before the summer.  If you do it safely, at 2 lbs a week, that's about 8 lbs a month.  In 4 months, that's 32 lbs, and starting now, that will put you down 30 lbs by June, which is about where your goal is.  Please, think hard about doing it any faster than this.  All you really need is a deficit of about 400-500 calories a day, especially when you're at your age...your body's metabolism is still pretty darn fast.  In another 20 years, that's when you have to really work hard on the diet and exercise.

Another thing to think about...make sure you're eating breakfast.  Metabolism wise (and that's where you get continuous calorie burn) it is the single most important meal of the day.  If you want to get your metabolism running at its best, make sure you don't skip breakfast...eat within an hour of waking up.  Fat free yogurt and some whole grain cereal, or at the very least some fruit and a protein shake, but don't just skip it.  You should also eat small snacks in the morning and afternoon, and a light lunch.  A larger but sensible dinner is good.  Check out the information at www.choosemyplate.gov for what kind of food you should actually be eating.  I don't know what exactly you eat, but I can't imagine someone your age would have to work really hard on limiting calorie intake, just maybe eating the right kinds of foods at the right times.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
-Herald
blondeiangel
blondeiangel
United States
2012/02/05, 09:51 AM
yea i actually wasnt planning on losing weight that quickly, trust me i was prepaired cause i've never lost weight that fast its actually been hard for me to lose any kind of weight. but i'll check out the site to see about setting up better eating habits cause like i said i've been laying off junk food and sugary drinks and stuff and been drinking a lot of water and eating more fruit which i know will be good for me in the long run cause i'm used to playing video games and eating junk food whenever and that's not good for me and i want to change that (except playing video games hahaha) but thank you for your concern and i really dont exercise "hard" as you said i just exercise on my wii fit plus and friday i just walked and took it slow cause i wasn't feeling to good that day..but thank you :) and i'll let ya'll know cause there are times when i need some extra help or things like that.

thank you :)
-Peyton-
nehabansal
nehabansal
India
2012/06/05, 06:46 AM
Nice Post .

Here i am sharing nice article for Secret To Weight Loss.http://www.fitho.in/health/Secret-to-weight-loss/articles/
nehabansal
nehabansal
India
2012/06/11, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the informative information about “Secert to weight loss ".
DT940
DT940
United States
2012/09/11, 10:06 AM
I know this post is old but it still stands in 2012!!! This hits home for me !
hilary34
hilary34
United States
2012/10/11, 12:43 PM
Very honest post. I guess this kind of situation IS true for a lot of us. If only life came with instructions so you already know from the get-go what to do and what not to do, eh?
rachelle66321
rachelle66321
Pakistan
2013/04/27, 02:40 AM
I think the best and big secret to lose weight is , walk and exercis.. Its very important and good for losing weigh with health..
Safe Weight Loss
RachyNooroto
RachyNooroto
Australia
2013/07/09, 04:41 AM
Well said! What more motivation do we need than to want to live a long healthy and happy life. BS gets you nowhere fast. I know from experience. It's is the reality check I needed.
robynlives16
robynlives16
United States
2017/03/04, 09:46 PM
I'm speechless....wow ! this was post is amazing that literally motivated me more ! that's what needed right there ! :)
Alex.hennry
Alex.hennry
India
2018/09/12, 11:11 PM
I am facing problem of loose skin. 3year ago i had weight loss about 30 to 35 kg without any consultation & without proper diet.I want to recover my flabby skin to muscles. How can i recover it?
I try to fix it with gym excercise but i have not get good results. My height is 5.6 inch & weight 82kg. Take me advice for it.
Can i take protien with fatburner?
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages