Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Scrawny Arms...

Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/17, 01:56 PM
Ok, my lower body is great, but, my arms are small (muscular) and I really want a good workout for that, currently here is what I have been doing:
Bench 115lbs x 12reps
135lbs x 9reps
155lbs x 6reps
and I do that twice, 3-5 times a week. I also do dumbells 40lbs to 55lbs 10 times ( I herd that helps your form) if I can after I get done on the bench. Any ideas? will this work my arms well? I am also trying to tone up my chest as well, I assumed that to be a second benifit.

--------------
Sean \"TBAR\" Johnson -USAF-
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/03/17, 02:25 PM
well everyone wants big arms, however depending on your form of bench about 75 to 85 percent of this excercise is the chest. So your arms( tri.s mainly) are only secondary.
to get ot the arms...
skull crushers
close grip bench
barbell curls
pretcher
are the best for mass and over all size.........yoru traning the same thing 3 to 5 times a week? no wonder Your arms are smal they get rebuild quick enough for you to be strong again.
Finally whats your diet like? You are what you eat!

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/17, 05:56 PM
I used to be on the atkins diet thing, and through that I have gained a decent understanding on my diet, I keep my Pro's up and Carb's as low as I can.. sneaking the occasional Reese's...
So your saying I need to just do weight training 3 times a week or less? or should I work out a strait 7? I could not quite tell what you were saying there about my arms getting rebuilt quick.
I understand what Barbell curls are but I will have to look up the rest. TY very much!
:dumbbell:

--------------
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/03/17, 07:39 PM
reverse bbcurls (forearms)
db wrist curls (forearms)
Don't forget triceps.
cable push downs,
BB tricep extensions
Dips behind the back

Hope this helps along with Andrews advice.

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/17, 07:46 PM
that sounds great, lol ya have some more terms in there I don't know (names of exercises) but here is what I am thinking, I will figure out what my optimum weight is tomrow on this, but;

8 reps, 3 times on Skull Crushers and close grip bench,
8 reps, 3 times on the preachers and curls,

those two will work my upper cannons right? then for my lower cannons;

8 reps, 3 times on wrist curls and reverse curls, and then that behind the back thing.. or am I doubling up on stuff there?

--------------
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/18, 09:36 AM
Don't let him lie too much, his arms aren't "scrawny" he is actually pretty strong just doesn't have the "show off" mass he wants. . . that is what he's really looking for, excersizes that will bulk him up.
assante74
assante74
United States
2004/03/22, 10:41 AM
If you want big arms that means that everything else on your body will have to growth with them. Arms just don't grow by themselves. The body grows as a whole. Unless you have a body part that grows by just thinking about working out. I have the same problem. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/23, 06:56 PM
the issue I have with my arms is that they are WAY out of proportion to my legs, I look like a soccer player, huge quads, good deffinition, but my arms just don't match! Just driving me nuts, I will be giving some of the workouts that the guys here have given me, wish me luck!
:dumbbell:

--------------
Sean "TBAR" Johnson -USAF-
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/24, 02:23 PM
Yeah, that sounds good, I have been doing pyramid on prity much everything. My bench has gone like so:
115x12
135x9
155x6

I have been trying to do this for every exercize, same reps, just a differant weight, looking at yours Yogi, I should probably do a 95lbs at 20 reps to start? sound right? may have to adjust that
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/25, 10:57 AM
Sounds like a good idea, kicked the hell out of my leg last night, so i will not be able to do a leg workout today, think I will give that a shot Yogi, ty for the advice, the only question I have, is why only once a week? is it a fatigue thing? maby my training is too.. new? but I don't seem to be able to make myself fatigued enough to feel that I need a week recovery, it may be due to my aerobic endurance or something I duno, but do you just wait a week? or do you jump back on a muscle group once it feels like it is back up to par?

--------------
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/25, 11:10 AM
You do what the buff guy tells you so I don't have to take you to the ER :big_smile:

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/03/25, 11:16 AM
I did a program once that required me to train my muscles twice a week. I didnt have any ill efects. In fact It probably the biggest I ever got. Not saying much but hey it worked for me.

--------------
My gym dues are not paid with money.
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/25, 11:23 AM
ok cool, I posted a thread about how much is too much for muscle building, like any noob, I want fast, good results, (I know, never happens, but I can dream) so I will probably do the trial/error method, see how it works.

--------------
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/03/25, 11:26 AM
I could be wrong but I think if you want to gain some mass you should do 4-5 sets between 8-12 reps. Compound movements of course.

--------------
My gym dues are not paid with money.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/25, 11:31 AM
I have a really good mass plan if you are interested. I can put 20lbs of lean mass on you in 3 months without supplements if you are interested.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/03/25, 11:37 AM
Mass building is a funny thing. The twice a week workout plan is ok for a while. But I tell you this, they way that I workout is way to much to do 2 times a week. also hitting them once a week allows you to rest that part and that is when you grow. Try upping the weight and lowering the reps. Do 3-4 sets making sure to keep your form good. Add weight each set so that by the last set you either fail at the rep youw ant or can not get it. this is the basic way to build mass and strength. Gator is very good at the science behind this, I know what has worked for me. Again try out a few routines till you find that one that works for you.

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/25, 11:48 AM
see my post under Muscle mass question.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/03/29, 11:37 AM
forgive me if i'm wrong but if he is low carbing.....then he won't gain much mass at all.....carbs are engery, which is stored as glycogen, which makes muscles bigger. Also carbs hold water as well as muscle fibers so by "carbing up" you look bigger cause your muscles are fuller. ......sorry its been a while since I been on here..........also remember you can't drive a tank turret on bicycle tires......to add a 1/2 inch tou your amrs you might have to gain aboyt 6 or 7 lbs, and maybe a 1lb or so of fat..........another note, in testasterone producion, squats and deadlifts are big producers, with cleans falling behind that, this could mean if you have more test. in your system during these workouts try traing arms on these days, more test. more muscle. So in other words the muscles that engage the most muscle and the hadest will give you the best results. Back in the day powerlifters, and bodybuilder, only had the basic machines, and some barbells, dumbells. Old habits never die!

--------------

Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/29, 12:30 PM
I am not on a low carb diet, more over a high protien, I did the low carb thing for a month, got to a decent weight, and now I take in your average 120g ish of Carbs. I am driving a tank, with a m-16 on it, not a tank on bicicle tires. I have no idea what I can squat, I should try I guess, but due to my history, my legs are very strong, and built very well, I have excelent definition, Mass is ideal, and I can train them to run sprints, distance, or lift in a week, I just keep them balanced via martial arts, running, and minor lifting. I'll try a few of those squats and such, see if that helps, ty!

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/03/29, 03:04 PM
I'm not a dietition but I say more carbs, Unles syou store alot of body fat, carb up, it will give you more engery and make you fuller and stronger.......low carb to me is around 200grams, however I am very athletic, cheerleading and working out, and walking all over my 500 acre campus.

--------------

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/29, 03:53 PM
Here is the deal with high protein low carb diets. A low carb diet or Atkins diet causes you to lose weight but not the weight you want to lose. When you limit carb intake, your body removes excess water because water is used to store and breakdown carb. As soon as you start to eat the slightest bit more in carb you will bloat and be right back where you started. This is the general rule of thumb. If you eat XXXX calories a day then 60% of those calories should be high quality carb. 20% should be high quality protien. And 20% should be high quality fat(poly- and mono-unsaturated). You can apply these percentages to a 1500,2000,2500, etc... a day diet. Don't cut from just one area, cut from all.
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/04/02, 12:38 PM
well either way, about the carbs, I can't really seem to increase my carbs, I just can't eat that much food. I have a good 2+ servings of rice a day and 2 tortias + what ever cheating I do, but I don't do that too much.

Just an FYI, I desided to try and do a leg press, see how I can do, as a lot of people have told me, I need to work both portions of my body. not sure how much the bar weighed, but I threw 3 45s on each side, gave that a shot, was kind-a light so I threw 1 more on, getting better, threw another on, and that felt good. Then to max it out I threw a 35lb on each side and that made for a good workout, though, not very sore. I duno, but only being able to bench 175ish, and leg pressing... 5 45lb weights on each side with a 35... 520lbs... + the bar... corect me if I am wrong.. but that is unbalanced right? I know legs tend to be stronger than arms, but that just seems to be way off. Just to clarify, I did not squat, I did not want to try that without proper form and soforth, since I dont do that might run the chance of hurting myself, so I did that one where you sit with your legs at about 75ish degrees and push up, sorry not sure of the name.

--------------
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/04/02, 06:08 PM
Try squatting. The leg press numbers make you look really strong when in fact you are using the wrong test. I can take 1450 and press it 5 times. My squat is less then half of that. Squatting is a more efficient means of training. And efficiency is what every lifter should strive to achieve.
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/04/05, 01:10 PM
ok, gona check out any posts on squating techniques, make sure I get it right and give it a shot.

--------------