Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

saggy skin

thelastprincess
thelastprincess
Canada
2002/02/22, 08:46 AM
Hi everyone,
I am starting a fitness routine in the hopes that I can finally lose this weight that has plagued me all my life. I am 5 foot 10,295pounds and 42%body fat, so you can see I have a long way to go. My question is, is there anything I can do to prevent/fix saggy skin? About five years ago I went from 350 to 240 and had to have skin removed the sagging was so bad. The main place I am worried about is my thighs. I did not have any skin removed from there last time and it is still pretty bad, I am afraid it is going to get a lot worse.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
^A^ ^A^
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/22, 09:29 PM
A A
Unfortunatly the is little that can be done short of cosmectic surgury. The skin has a certain amount of elasticity but once over stretched due to excess weight gain and loss it will not go back to its original state. While this may be a problem I would think the other long term benefits will out weigh the saggy skin. I would suggest that after taking off the desired weight and maintaining it for a period of time, THEN consider the cosmetic surgury as a reward!!!If you don't have any surgury you still WIN!!!!! Good luck with your goal!

--------------
....Bloom where you are planted....
Leslie
BlackLT
BlackLT
United States
2002/02/23, 06:50 AM
I got kinda the same problem. I don't and won't have saggy skin but the streach marks could be a problem. I never even had any marks till I started working out in high school. I was in good shape then but for some reason I got them anyhow. I think it was because of my gaining a lot of muscle and my skin had no time to grow. Anyhow, the marks I got back then only got worse as I got older and fatter. I still see the marks on my arms from way back then. As for the saggy skin thing I would get to my desired weight and waited a while to see if it would tighten up any. If not then just get it removed. You may also want to try some of those creams that tighten skin. Maybe some anti wrinkle stuff would work or that stuff to reduce celulite.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/23, 07:02 AM
Good advice BlackLT. Building muscle will also help your skin too. Unfortunately cellulite creams don't help reduce cellulite only diet and exercise will do that!!!

--------------
....Bloom where you are planted....
Leslie
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/02/24, 11:11 PM
My advice is to not lose a lot of weight extremely fast. As you lose weight AND exercise it should help to prevent SOME saggy skin. If you lose a lot of weight fast and don't exercise, your skin has nothing to hang on to. Cosmetic surgery will probably be the best reward for you after you get to the weight you want. Best of luck and let us know how you progress.
thelastprincess
thelastprincess
Canada
2002/02/25, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the advice.
As for my progress so far.... let's just say sore...very sore.
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/02/25, 07:45 PM
The soreness will go away. Keep working and it does get a little easier once your muscles are used to to.

--------------
Lisa