Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Rotator Cuff

loret
loret
United States
2002/05/20, 12:17 PM
Both rotaor cuffs are very sore. What can I do for this.
Are there exercises to strengthen this?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/20, 12:19 PM
Have you tried RICE therapy? You'll need to move down in weights for a while. You don't want to tear them.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/05/20, 12:27 PM
You might want to take a look at the work out you were doing when you hurt them also. Often, it's the weight but just as often it's the form. I hurt one of mine pretty bad last year and narrowed it down to one of the trap machines. The range of motion (or lack of) was throwing me way off and strained it. I laid off that and took it easy on the shoulder work for a month or so and it's fine now.
dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/07/09, 08:36 PM
I have very bad shoulders. They sound like their full of gravel. There are two movements that I do before I train shoulders or chest. These movements will warm up and strenthen your rotator cuffs. These have been a real saviour for me.

1. Put both arms in front of you and make two horizonal L's. You should look like a genie. In your top hand, have a lite dumbell. Raise that hand till it makes a vertical L. The other arm stays stationary as a guide. Return it to the starting point. Do between 15 and 20 reps and switch arms.

2. Take a lite dumbell and raise your arm to your side. Your bicep should be horizontal and your forearm should be vertical. Leaving your biceps horizontal, lower the dumbbell to horizontal and then return it to the starting position. Do between 15 and 20 reps and switch arms.

I would start this routine with no weight at all and progress to using lite weight but never go above a ten pound dumbbell. I hope this helps.

--------------
"Step over to the Abdominator and I will shout slogan's at you"..McBain
junglrulz
junglrulz
United States
2002/07/11, 07:29 AM
I had a good deal of pain in my left rotator cuff last year. Little did I know that it was caused by a bone spur on the chromium. It shredded the entire area after 4 months of ignoring the pain. If the pain persists after a cool down period of a week, see your Doc and ask if you should get an MRI. It would have saved me 4 months of rehab and loss of strength. I don't know your age but if you are over 40, do realize that area does tend to grow thin through attrition (abuse).