Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Resvretrol

13juliej
13juliej
United States
2009/07/26, 09:08 AM
I have researched alot about this since watching Dr. Oz on Oprah. I know that it needs to have Trans Resvretrol to be legit. Anyone use this and is it as great as they are saying?
2009/07/26, 10:41 AM
From Wiki:

Resveratrol (trans-resveratrol) is a phytoalexin produced naturally by several plants when under attack by pathogens such as bacteria or fungi. Resveratrol has also been produced by chemical synthesis and is sold as a nutritional supplement derived primarily from Japanese knotweed. In mouse and rat experiments, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, blood-sugar-lowering and other beneficial cardiovascular effects of resveratrol have been reported. Most of these results have yet to be replicated in humans. In the only positive human trial, extremely high doses (3?5 g) of resveratrol in a proprietary formulation have been necessary to significantly lower blood sugar. Resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes and is a constituent of red wine, but apparently not in sufficient amounts to explain the French paradox. Experiments have shown that resveratrol treatment extended the life of fruit flies, nematode worms and short living fish but it did not increase the life span of mice.

It sounds like snake oil to me. I also bet it's expensive. Please also know that supplements are totally unregulated and their manufacturers can make any unsubstantiated claim they wish to. I found a long time ago that a supplement here and a supplement there soon adds up to serious money while producing no measurable benefit.

The only supplement I take is a large dose of fish oil. My doctor recommended it years ago and blood tests have convinced me that it helps regulate my cholesterol in a beneficial way.

Most "supplements' can be ingested with a good diet and there is no need to spend the huge amounts of money they command. I have a hard time finding fresh fish where I live or I wouldn't spend money on the fish oil.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/07/26, 11:37 AM
Just eat healthy foods, non processed, and let your stomach do the processing.
I agree with Charlie.
If you are trying to lower blood sugar get more fiber. Trying to prevent cancer eat antioxidants.
Save your $$.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2009/07/26, 12:28 PM
I've taken up organic gardening in the last few years. Anyone who has the time and land should consider growing their own. There is no comparison to the "food" you buy in the store.You can also grow foods which target your health needs. This may seem kind of extreme but what the grocery stores are allowed to sell frightens me.

I'm sorry to my Canadian friends who have the 3 day growing season.:big_smile:

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/07/27, 07:35 PM
Thanks Charlie for the sympathies. Actually our fruit and veggie season is happenning now.
Regarding organic, we eat fruits and veggies, also some juices and chicken. Forget about the teccnological chickens!
Have you seen the movie "Food Inc" //
Go see it if you haven't. Or rent it.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2009/07/27, 10:45 PM
I've read about it at my gardening sight. I tend to not see stuff like that but I may make an exception when it gets to pay TV like HBO or something. I'm sure it will affirm my decision to grow my own organically.

--------------

Charlie