Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

reps/sets and failure question

mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/26, 10:06 AM
Someone posted something earlier (forget who) that made me think of some questions about when to reach failure.

Suppose I am doing an exercise in which I do 20 reps, then 15 reps, then 12 reps, then 10 reps.

What is a "set"?

Is the whole thing a "set" (that is, is the one exercise consisting of the 57 reps considered one big set? -OR- is each cycle of reps considered an individual set, i.e. "I did one set of 20 reps, then I did a second set of 15 reps, then a third and fourth set of 12 and 10 reps - a total of 4 sets")

The question then is, when should I try to reach failure? Someone said try to reach failure at the end of the set. So, do I try to reach failure at the end of the 20 reps, then reach failure at the end of the 15 reps, etc. etc? -OR- do I try to reach failure at the very end, at the end of the 10 reps cycle only?

Of course, I am increasing the weights as I go along (increase weights after I finish the 20 reps, then increase again after the 15, etc. etc.)

Thanks... John
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/26, 10:25 AM
John, a set is one cycle of reps. So, in your example, the 20 reps. is one set. Reps consisting of 20-15-12-10 equals four sets. You can look up definitions and terms here at ft. From the main menu, go to ft Exercise Resources, choose Exercise ft Tools, then Training Principles.

You can choose to reach failure on every set or towards the end of the routine. Although, what you'll find is that subsequent set(s) may fall short of the recommended number of reps.

I wouldn't personally recommend going to failure every time you workout. Instead, work to failure about every other week or so. You can also choose other techniques to stimulate your muscles (i.e. drop sets, supersets, strip sets, etc.).

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!