Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Reps vs Weight + Pain

fireloard
fireloard
United States
2001/04/05, 09:15 AM
What is more important to focus on reps or weight?.. For the first 2 weeks of this program I used one weight that usually made me sore the next day for the flat and incline dumbell press but yesterday someone was using that weight. Usually with this weight though I wouldn't finish all the reps in every set. I used the next one down (-5 lbs) and I finished all the reps and sets on the page though today I don't really feel sore. This same thing is almost like my abs which just won't get sore. I do all the crunches the page suggests and once tried even going until I couldn't do another crunch (from sets) but still.. next day they felt fine.

Next is when I try and do almost any exercise for the deltoids, even using the lowest weight the cable machine has (15lb), I do a few and then there will be this line of sharp pain across the deltoid. I don't feel this on other days or anytime else just when I lift related to that muscle... I lifted one Monday.. it hurt so I stopped... didn't feel it the rest of the day or all that week... the next Monday tried to lift.. and there it was again... this some kind of injury or should I just sub in some kind of even lower weight?
green9r
green9r
United States
2001/04/05, 09:29 PM
When in doubt, check with a Dr just in case...
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/06, 06:39 AM
Muscle soreness even for experienced lifters happens when you increase intensity. If you have a spot available get him to help you squeeze out two or three reps beyond what you can do by yourself. On your shoulder pain, if the doc. says you are good to go then I would make sure that I warmed the area up very well before heavy lifts. The shoulders are very delicate joints and prone to injury, so be careful.
Uttiya
Uttiya
India
2001/05/05, 12:42 PM
buddy,
You wanna get big?????...then do this...lift heavy....and when you get used to the weight ..then increase it again.
Do something 4-5 exercises, 3-4 sets per exercise, and 8-15 reps.
It helps....bye..uttiya